The Quantum Eraser

Enamored by the bizzare results of Dean Radins massive experiment on thought collapsing wave patterns during a variation of the double slit experiment, I dug a little deeper. I am far from an expert in quantum physics so forgive me if I’m off in my conclusion, but the conclusion seems unavoidable. I came across two other (much smaller experiments) that reach the same conclusion. The more primitive double slit expirements use lasers inside the system to observe and this causes a collapse of the wave function. This lead physicists to two conclusions so far as I can tell. 1) the simple act of conscious observation collapsed the wave function or 2) something (other than a mind) caused the collapse, ie-light from the lasers or some other physical force from detectors etc

This study (and Dean Radins experiments) seem to vouche for explanation 1, as there does not seem to be anything significant inside of the system that would seem to interfere with the wave function.

There was another variation of the double slit experiment with an absolutely brilliant design that I was looking at (now I can’t find it to link it!!) that reached the same conclusion. It really seems that the act of conscious measurement (or attempted measurement) seems to collapse the wave function. Yet of course mainstream science is not at all comfortable with this. So while (as far as I can tell) it seems to be proven that the act of conscious observation collapses the wave function (not light from a laser detector etc), Wikipedia and most of the science websites etc continue to insist that it isn’t consciousness that is collapsing the wave function, but rather some light or something of the sort being introduced during the observation is collapsing it. I saw a proudly proclaimed hardcore atheistic/materialistic “philosopher of physics” state the same thing on YouTube. He said, “of course we now know enough about the observer effect to know that it isn’t the mind at all that collapses the wave function but such and such etc.” Really? Do you know that? Of course our understanding is incomplete at the moment, but for now, does it not seem essentially proven that it is consciousness that is collapsing the wave?

PS-the above linked study also shows how, apparently, information can be sent backwards in time, at least at the quantum level.

Here’s a better visual representation of the mind boggling results of this amazing experiment. How can some scientists, at this point, deny the absolutely astounding conclusion that our minds have an effect on shaping (at least on some level) the material World?

Wow - I think I would have to watch that video a fair number of times to understand exactly what is happening, but I get the general impression. It is a really nice video. I suppose the ultimate experiment would be one where the final observation took place so much later in time that a human could actually decide the outcome by some mental act.

David

Wow - I think I would have to watch that video a fair number of times to understand exactly what is happening, but I get the general impression. It is a really nice video. I suppose the ultimate experiment would be one where the final observation took place so much later in time that a human could actually decide the outcome by some mental act.

David
Same here. You really need to look at the design for a bit in order to take it all in, but yes, the idea you can understand easily. Pretty incredible right? Did you see Dean Radins two year experiment?

I am not quite sure what you mean - the double slit experiment with meditators?

David
Right, yes that one. It occurred over a couple years I think. The data set was that big. It was that experiment that set me out to look for similar type experiments. The results are absolutely mind blowing to me.

How long do you think it’s going to take mainstream science to accept this? (If in fact we’re interpreting everything right). But it REALLY DOES seem an unavoidable conclusion at this point. “Magic” in hard science. But this experiment (the second one) was done in 1999. So I’m not sure if I’m missing something. The conclusion of both of those videos is the same conclusion I’m drawing, and the videos are recent

Right, yes that one. It occurred over a couple years I think. The data set was that big. It was that experiment that set me out to look for similar type experiments. The results are absolutely mind blowing to me.
My only caveat, is that the change in the interference pattern was small, so in a way this was just like loads of other micro-PK experiments. When DR originally proposed this experiment, I had wondered if he would get a much larger effect size because he was zooming in on the ultimate nature of PK.

David

My only caveat, is that the change in the interference pattern was small, so in a way this was just like loads of other micro-PK experiments. When DR originally proposed this experiment, I had wondered if he would get a much larger effect size because he was zooming in on the ultimate nature of PK.

David

David
I see. I’m still pretty ignorant about all of that research. Even minor results (of repeatable and statistical significance) is still absolutely remarkable, especially for somebody new to the research. But I find the quantum eraser experiment even more impressive than the other research showing the micro results. I’m trying to find people with differing opinions of the results

Last edited:

David
I thought the studies using trained mediatators (as opposed to ordinary average people) had some fairly large effect sizes? At least larger than that of Asprin on remedying a heart attack.

Since I posted this I've dug into this a fair amount. What causes the wave function to collapse is not necessarily consciousness, but rather it is RECORDING the position. The making of available information. Which ipso facto implies conscious behavior. Tom Campbell explains it best.