The return of Paqart

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Andrew Paquette, May 23, 2018.

1. Andrew Paquette

Andrew Paquette Administrator

Home Page:
    Many years ago, I contributed to these forums regularly. On many of those occasions, skeptics complained that proponents of psi theories didn't understand the scientific method. The argument was weak, because it went something like this "You believe that psi is real, therefore you don't understand the scientific method." Never mind that many of the targets of this criticism probably did understand the scientific method, the argument ignores the possibility that psi is a real phenomenon.

To address those comments, and others like them, I wrote a few papers that were published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Scientific Exploration. These didn't seem to inspire any skeptics, unless posting references to the articles on skeptic pages loaded with childish derision counts as "inspiration." For that reason, I doubt my news of today will make much of a difference, but I have just been notified that my thesis has been accepted, meaning I will be receiving my doctorate shortly. My understanding is that it will arrive around June 1st or shortly thereafter. All this means is that my university thinks I understand the scientific method. The reason I don't think the effort I made will make any difference is that there are far more eminent people than myself who have PhDs and they aren't treated well by skeptics either.

When people like Rupert Sheldrake, William Crookes, Charles Richet, J.B. Rhine, and others are dismissed out of hand by skeptics, it is clear that credentials, knowledge, reputation, and data, are all meaningless inducements to reason among skeptics on this topic. Despite this, I'm happy to have the degree, if for no other reason than the process of achieving my doctorate is now over.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Steve, dpdownsouth, Raimo and 6 others like this.
  2. Ian Thompson

Ian Thompson Member

Home Page:
    Did you do research on psi, or on something else?

Andrew Paquette likes this.
  3. Andrew Paquette

Andrew Paquette Administrator

Home Page:
    Something else. I didn't think the university I worked for would let me do a psi-related subject. Instead, I researched the development of a cognitive ability, spatial visualization, among university students. There were times that I found the literature frustrating because of their brain=mind assumptions, but I made it through eventually.

On another subject: I wrote five published papers for peer-reviewed journals, and one that is so far unpublished but conclusively rejected by the JSE. The reason is that they interpreted the content as "evangelizing". That is quite far from accurate, but the subject matter of the article shared some things with the literature of religious studies. The fact that I described veridical psi experiences in the same article that asked whether psi and religion have a common source was, in the minds of the reviewers, equivalent to arguing that there is a relationship, or that a relationship has been proven. That is like saying that the question "Is it true?" is equivalent to the statement "it is true."

The reason I mention it is that I have been wanting to write on the subject of psi, religion, and overlap between the two for some time. However, the response from the JSE pretty much killed my interest in writing about psi altogether. If even psi researchers aren't able to press beyond simple recording and verification of psi data, then the subject is a non-starter. It is a pity, because psi on its own isn't that interesting. What psi may mean, on the other hand, is quite interesting.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  4. Ian Thompson

Ian Thompson Member

Home Page:
    Congratulations in advance, then, to (the to be Dr) Paquette!!

Andrew Paquette likes this.
  5. I agree.

When I was an undergraduate I had a job in a lab. One day a postdoc came into the room I was working in and explained she had turned the water on in the sink in the adjoining room and it was on too hard and was splattering all over and she was so flustered that she couldn't remember which way to turn the tap to shut off the water and could I please go next door and turn it off for her.

7. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

Welcome back to the forum! We have missed you.

You are also welcome, of course, to contribute again to the moderation - except that essentially no moderation has been required for quite some time. I think this is because Alex uses email to interview those who would like to join the forum.

This Sheldrake video discusses the relationship between religion, ψ, and consciousness:

David

8. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

Indeed, Brian Josephson has a Nobel prize for physics, and isn't teated any better!

David

Steve likes this.
  9. north

north Member

Congratulations on completing your doctorate.

I greatly enjoyed your book "Dreamer" and hope you will find time for further writing outside of scientific papers.

K9! likes this.
  10. LetsEat

LetsEat Member

Congrats and a welcome return. Though I missed the days when you had been an active poster I look forward to the days to come.