The Singular Universe and the Reality of Time

Thanks, I'd like that one, if it's not too tough going, to get through.

I'm a bit worried by the lack of negative reviews though (none so far) ...;)

on the wish list definitely

Hey Mazda!

I haven't read it yet myself, I just ready a lengthy review in the Sunday Times (UK). But judging from some of the blurbs and what not, I think it's not meant to be too much tough going.....I know what you mean!

Cheers.

From the Amazon page:
he revolution that Roberto Mangabeira Unger and Lee Smolin propose relies on three central ideas.
-There is only one universe at a time.
- Time is real: everything in the structure and regularities of nature changes sooner or later.
- Mathematics, which has trouble with time, is not the oracle of nature and the prophet of science; it is simply a tool with great power and immense limitations.

- Nope. Sorry Tain't so.
- "Real"? Depends what one mean by the term. But linear time is a mode of perception. One that is strongly connected to physical reaities. As for everything changes - consciousness is expressing everything in a multitude of versions. Within a linear time perception that looks like changes "sooner or later."
- Yes.

An entire book to expound on and complicate three simple concepts - two of which are incorrect. Kudos to the authors. lol.

BTW a new flavor of materialism is still materialism.

Hi Saiko.

Fair enough, but I tend to try and read a book before judging it, especially when it's about such complex ideas. The much longer review in the Times portrays it within a slightly different context, that of current mainstream pop-science ideas, and as a direct counter to them. It also portrays the, by necessity, extremely over-simplified "blurb" points in your excerpt differently, with a different "meaning". At the end of the day, we simply cannot judge the book based on such a brief blurb, and the contents ARE meant to be extremely relevant to some of the discussions here.

As an aside, re the "materialism" thing, I won't be reading this book, as it doesn't especially interest me. I'm looking forward to reading our host's "Why Science is Wrong About Almost Everything" much more!:)

Hi Saiko.

Fair enough, but I tend to try and read a book before judging it, especially when it's about such complex ideas.
I'm not judging the book per se. It might be very well written. But I don't see those ideas as complex and the first two are incorrect. That's all.

BTW the paragraph I posted comes directly from the book's first chapter.

Back