The strange world of felt presences

And here we go with the 'It's just the brain" comments.

"Auditory hallucinations & sundry other perceptual manifestations will be explained by neuro science, nothing supernatural happening. Would the folks gags for religion please get that this can easily explain where imaginary gods come from."

And
"Oliver Sacks, famed neurologist, explains such experiences in his recent book Hallucinations.
It ain't rocket science, just the brain, having difficulty dealing with reality. Much like some here on CiF."

There are more comments about that article on that site, but those 2 I just quoted make me want to break a chair.

I do like to read the comments on such articles, sometimes the contributions from those with their own experiences can make it worthwhile. As for the others, I just see it as a sort of barometer, a rough measure of some views of the readers of that page,

No doubt. Once one has that belief, everything will get included. And since the brain is one of the main interfaces between consciousness and the emergent physical, many people will view it as originator.

I used to have some temporary sleep paralysis during some minutes.I would wake up feeling that i could not move any part of my body as if i was trapped within it.I would then try not to panic ,while trying to steady my breathing ,hoping that i would regain control of my body and i did each time.
That was no pick nick : it was a frightening situation.My doctor did find nothing wrong with me though.Stress or some psycho-somatic problem might be the culprit ,she said.
It does not happen to me anymore.It just vanished like snow under the sun.
As for voices or presence, i did experience nothing of the sort.

I used to have some temporary sleep paralysis during some minutes.I would wake up feeling that i could not move any part of my body as if i was trapped within it.I would then try not to panic ,while trying to steady my breathing ,hoping that i would regain control of my body and i did each time.
That was no pick nick : it was a frightening situation.My doctor did find nothing wrong with me though.Stress or some psycho-somatic problem might be the culprit ,she said.
It does not happen to me anymore.It just vanished like snow under the sun.
As for voices or presence, i did experience nothing of the sort.
I still get those. I recently had a "vivid" one. I felt wide awake, but I was unable to move.
Then it slowly got difficult to breathe. And while I was "stuck", I thought "Think about floating", hoping to have an OBE. But instead, I heard "haunted house" noises. Kinda like screeching. *shudders*

I've mentioned before here my experiences with sleep paralysis. Sometimes I sense a presence, twice I have actually felt a presence (an arm resting on my hip while what felt like a finger poking my neck and what felt like a cat or a small dog walk on my bed and lay down on the pillow next to me), sometimes I don't sense anything. Twice I saw a shadowy figure, once by my closet and once standing next to my bed, whispering in my ear. The last two really scared me. I was only 16 or 17 at the time. They stopped for several years, but have recently restarted, but for the most part it comes and goes. I have not seen a correlation between stress and the sleep paralysis occurrences. They actually seem to occur with more frequency when I meditate. Thats generally why I don't meditate with any regularity.

I still get those. I recently had a "vivid" one. I felt wide awake, but I was unable to move.
Then it slowly got difficult to breathe. And while I was "stuck", I thought "Think about floating", hoping to have an OBE. But instead, I heard "haunted house" noises. Kinda like screeching. *shudders*
What do you think was the cause of all that ?

I've mentioned before here my experiences with sleep paralysis. Sometimes I sense a presence, twice I have actually felt a presence (an arm resting on my hip while what felt like a finger poking my neck and what felt like a cat or a small dog walk on my bed and lay down on the pillow next to me), sometimes I don't sense anything. Twice I saw a shadowy figure, once by my closet and once standing next to my bed, whispering in my ear. The last two really scared me. I was only 16 or 17 at the time. They stopped for several years, but have recently restarted, but for the most part it comes and goes. I have not seen a correlation between stress and the sleep paralysis occurrences. They actually seem to occur with more frequency when I meditate. Thats generally why I don't meditate with any regularity.
You know : I have heard stories of people who were pronounced dead , but they actually weren't .They were paralyzed in fact and buried alive .Those stories and other ones that are related to stroke paralysis used to haunt me somehow.I have been afraid of experiencing the same kind of paralysis while fully conscious . Not to mention that i did experience some minor psycho-somatic problems as well . Taking all that into consideration, my auto-analysis on the subject revealed to me that my previous sleep paralysis was related to the above, in the sense that my fear and expectation on the subject did become reality in the form of temporary sleep paralysis : a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy, i guess.I can compare it to the placebo/nocebo effects.I forced myself or my mind not to believe in the illusory reality of those above mentioned fear and expectation,and then , i stopped having that frightening sleep paralysis i was talking about .The power of the human mind is limitless , either way , either in the positive or negative sense (not in that phony new-age sense though lol ) I might be wrong but , i can't think of any other explanation.Cheers.

Last edited:
I had a period of sleep paralysis in my 30's. Eventually, rather than panic, I decided to stay within them... At first it was quite scary not to struggle out of it... and I found could keep them going for a long time... A huge amount of buzzing, which also reverberated throughout my body... It felt like the buzzing was the interference that was paralysing my body during sleep.

I lost my fear of them... I found the buzzing quite pleasant after a while... it sort of cocooned me... and the episodes became less and less, and after a couple months stopped completely... and I've never been able to bring them back.

I don't recall if I was stressed at the time... Seemed to happen when I overslept late into the morning, and kept dozing, even when the sun light was coming through the windows.

For me, the topic was sufficiently interesting that I bought the book mentioned in the article - The Third Man Factor by John Geiger.

It opens with the description of several different instances where a person in difficulty had found themselves accompanied by an unseen presence, which both gave support and guidance.

Chapter two describes in some detail the circumstances which led to Shackleton, accompanied by Worsley and Crean making a trek across the island of South Georgia in extreme circumstances, crossing a mountain range with a length of rope and a carpenters adze for an ice-pick. On their journey the lives of twenty-two other men depended. It was in recalling this journey that the three each independently told of the presence of the fourth.

It was recalled with poetic licence in T. S. Eliot's The Waste Land, thus giving a name to the phenomenon. In the poem, he wrote:
Who is the third who walks always beside you?
When I count, there are only you and I together
But when I look ahead up the white road
There is always another one walking beside you
I'd just finished reading this chapter, put away the book, and turned on the radio. A voice said, "Now, Eileen Atkins and Jeremy Irons read The Waste Land by T.S.Eliot"

Last edited:
I had another "vivid" sleep paralysis episode. Usually I here "haunted house" noises. But instead of those noises, I heard a "voice". It sounded like it said "Hi!". It also sounded like it was, 100 feet away.
I was laying on my side and i tried to turn and look.
But when I did, I still felt stuck and heard the voice again. But when it said hi, it echoed that time and sounded like it was "getting closer". And nope, I don't know the cause of that.

lol. Yeah.

The bugaboo is that within physical, there will always be a physical component. Most of the time that's some form of brain activity. So once someone believes that there is nothing else - If there's no external physical stimuli that they discern as causing the brain's response - they'll simply decide that the brain must be the origin and frame it as some neurological abnormality. If it happens enough they give it a name and view it as a condition. It's all so silly but the beliefs are strong and to them it almost cannot be any other way. One of my things is to ask them to describe a scenario in which a human could/would become aware of something without there being a physical/brain response of any sort. Or punch 'em in the lips. When they cry out in pain and anger, explain that you did no such thing it all took place in their brain. lol.

The latter is a joke of course but I think you see the point. Basically, they operate under a circular argument "we discern no physical stimuli so it originated in brain so therefore there is non-physical stimuli so therefore it originated in the brain ". . ad absurdum.

One way beyond that cycle of stupidity is to be genuinely scientific which in this case starts with "there may or may not be a non-physical stimulus that the brain is responding to." Of course that requires a researcher who isn't a true believer in materialism. Which also means that a committed physicalist is unlikely to perform genuine scientific research in areas concerning non-physical. It's like having a person who believes English is the only real language working on linguistics.