Top 10 Materialist Fallacies

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

Prescott reviews Kastrup's Why Materialism is Baloney

This, to me, was one of the less persuasive parts of the book. As I look at it, the universe seems to have come into existence with the rules already laid out. It doesn't appear to have been making up the rules as it went along in a series of random, spasmodic fluctuations. In other words, I would see the Big Bang as somewhat akin to booting up a computer program - the program is already written, and the boot-up simply gets it started. Of course, this leaves open the question of who wrote the program and where it is stored ...

Another aspect of Kastrup's argument that I found a bit unsatisfactory was his attempt to link the membrane hypothesis to string theory. He notes that one variation of string theory describes reality as essentially a single membrane vibrating in ten dimensions, a viewpoint that is at least consistent with his own model. But string theory remains controversial, empirical support for supersymmetry is so far lacking, and some physicists believe the whole approach may be a dead end. Even Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory has given up on it!

Moreover, if we're going to use physics models to bolster philosophical models, we probably need to explain such conundrums as wave-particle duality and quantum entanglement, which Kastrup doesn't specifically address. To my way of thinking, the notion of the universe as (ultimately) pure information, with physical phenomena as expressions of algorithmic transformations, is more compelling. See the website The Bottom Layer for a detailed look at how wave-particle duality and other paradoxes melt away when viewed in informational terms.
In this connection, it's worth noting that some mediumistic communications claim that, upon dying, the unconscious mind takes the place of the conscious mind. That is, the material ordinarily screened from our conscious attention becomes readily available, resulting in a much wider range of awareness. It's also worth noting that in the channeled book The Unobstructed Universe, the communicator insists that all of reality consists of vibrations of consciousness, a view that has much in common with Kastrup's membrane model.
Though I remain more comfortable with a quasi-Kantian model of a noumenal realm of pure information and a phenomenal realm of "rendered" images perceived subjectively, I have to say that Kastrup's book has made me think. He's a good writer and a provocative thinker, and I recommend both his book and his blog.

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

Tying this into previously posted material:

Though I remain more comfortable with a quasi-Kantian model of a noumenal realm of pure information and a phenomenal realm of "rendered" images perceived subjectively, I have to say that Kastrup's book has made me think. He's a good writer and a provocative thinker, and I recommend both his book and his blog.
Prescott's accordance with "Kantian Idealism" (on which more has been posted about here) in which there is a reality beyond consciousness but it is inaccessible to us, seems akin to that of the physicist Zeilinger, who shared his own ideas about reality in this Discovery interview.

Similar statements are made by the Idealist Hoffman in his paper "Peeking Behind the Icons".

Finally, see this essay by John McGuire.