Trickster Makes This World? [Resources]

Discussion in 'Extended Consciousness & Spirituality' started by Sciborg_S_Patel, Sep 4, 2014.

1. To kick things off ->

A friend of mine gifted me the book Ka: The Stories of Mind and the Gods of India by Roberto Calasso. On the inside cover he quoted Daksha, one of Hinduism's ancient rishis, regarding the man's opposition to the marriage between his daughter Sati (the incarnation of the Goddess) & Shiva (Destroyer, Lord of Animals, God of the liminal space between Chaos & Order):

'This man who has come, this stranger, this woman-stealer, this enemy of our rules and rites, this wanderer who loves the ashes of the dead, who speaks of things divine to the lowest of the low, this man who sometimes seems crazy, who has something obscene about him, who grows his hair long as a girl's, who bedecks himself with bones, who laughs and cries for no reason - Why should I give She-Who-Is to someone who, every time I see him, seems to me the opposite of everything I wanted to be myself, of everything I wanted life to be?

Why did I compose so many rites, so many words, why did I generate She-Who-Is, just to have everything stolen from me one day by the one who is its living negation?"

2. Seven short essays on the ideas that organize Lewis Hyde's Trickster Makes This World

manjit likes this.
  3. Trickster and tricked: All gurus try to undermine their followers' egos and expectations, so does it matter if the teacher is a real fraud?

4. Intro to George Hansen’s The Trickster and the Paranormal

manjit likes this.
  5. manjit

manjit New

Hi Sciborg_S_Patel,

Just wanted to say I finished "Trickster Makes this World" by Lewis Hyde a while ago - thanks, it was a great book! It had the effect of bringing some sort of closure to a, errrm, "gap" that was opened up in my mentation by the terrific "Trickster and the Paranormal" by George P Hansen which I read a few years or so ago. Not really sure how to expand on that in any meanginful way without typing out encyclopedias, but I appreciated your mentioning of the book - cheers! :)

I also just finished reading "Authors of the Impossible" by Jeffrey Kripal (Mutants and Mystics is kind of like the second part of what was originally intended to be a single book...I have that here but will be readining later....though I have to mention it is an excellently produced hardback book, pages & cover feel great in the hand, and lots of colour picture pages!). Another great book!

Have you read that yet? Judging by what you post here, I think you would really enjoy that book....

Lastly, I notice you have a thread called "The Western Spiritual Tradition" or some such, and that you mention Peter Kingsley's "Reality" book in it....have you read that yet? If so, I was wondering what you thought of it? I've had that in my to read pile for a year or two, not got to it yet (is a big book!). Recommended?

Cheers.

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  6. Glad you liked Hyde. I think I need to read Hansen's book as well. Feel free to type out some encyclopedias if you're up for it - I think you're way more familiar with the Trickster archetype than me and I'd appreciated the knowledge!

Sadly have not read Kripal yet, I do have his books on my list.

Also, haven't read Reality, just those excerpts put together by Morhroff on Anti-Matters.

7. Fasnacht, Carl Jung, the Trickster Archetype and Altered States of Consciousness

8. "...the myths, they think each other..."

Lewis Hyde: The Trickster Trap of Appetite

Lewis Hyde: Trickster Makes This World (1 of 2)

Author Lewis Hyde expands his fiercely inquisitive analysis of two Trickster stories (Raven and Hermes, as told in Part 1 of this series:Lewis Hyde: The Trickster Trap of Appetite ). Hyde brings in commentary on popular culture, the persistent mythic archetypes still buried in the psyche, and the life of Frederick Douglass.

Lewis Hyde: Trickster Makes This World (2 of 2)

Brilliant author Lewis Hyde weaves together a Raven trickster story and the Homeric hymn to Hermes, launching into a profound and mercurial commentary on creativity, deception, and the art of living in contradiction.

9. Michael2

Michael2 New

Just when I was about to take a break from here I came up on this post from a long long long time ago. I have read Kingsley's "Reality" (twice now) and all of his other books + some of his articles. In case you have read Reality by now, or haven't read it and are interested in a conversation about Kingsley's arguments/ideas/pov. Let me know, I'd be interested.

manjit, Sciborg_S_Patel and Steve like this.
  10. Nice rundown of Trickster and the Paranormal:

The Trickster and the Paranormal

manjit and Trancestate like this.

Trancestate likes this.
  12. manjit

manjit New

Hi Michael - deary me, sorry for the 4 month delay in response!! Have been extremely busy and had no time to post, barely to even read posts a few times a week!

Yes, I did get round to reading this about a year or so ago. Was very interesting. If you're still about or when you get time, let me know what your thoughts were?

Off the top of my head, the things that struck me most (or at least the "essence" of the book has stayed with me until today) are:

1) How very "non-dual" or "advaita" like the general message of the book was. An area of "teachings" I am very familiar with, so never really thought I was learning anything new from the book in that general sense.

2) How, according to Kingsley, Plato & other well know early Greek teachers & "mystics" were, far from being one /some of the great mystical influences on the western world, were actually a driving force for rationalisation & logicality. Peter Kingsley's arguments in this regard were the most novel to me personally within the book.

Errrm, can't really recall much more than that! Was a nice & interesting read though.

Cheers!

13. That trickster is a boundary-crosser is the standard line, but in the course of writing this book I realized that it needs to be modified in one important way, for there are also cases in which trickster creates a boundary, or brings to the surface a distinction previously hidden from sight. In several mythologies, for example, the gods lived on earth until something trickster did caused them to rise into heaven. Trickster is thus the author of the great distance between heaven and earth; when he becomes the messenger of the gods it’s as if he has been enlisted to solve a problem he himself created. In a case like that, boundary creation and boundary crossing are related to one another, and the best way to describe trickster is to say simply that the boundary is where he will be found— sometimes drawing the line, sometimes crossing it, sometimes erasing or moving it, but always there, the god of the threshold in all its forms.

Hyde, Lewis. Trickster Makes This World: Mischief, Myth, and Art (Kindle Locations 232-239). Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Kindle Edition.

14. K9!

K9! New

15. dpdownsouth

dpdownsouth Member

With Gordon White & Hansen.... many topics covered, including the personal dangers of PSI / alien / paranormal research.....

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    K9! likes this.