TRUTH of near death experiences

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ist-uncover-TRUTH-near-death-experiences.html

Hey guys I am new to the form but I found this interesting paper on a website but it is basically saying that this neurologist has discovered how to recreate near-death experiences and successfully he is getting a documentary on Nat Geo but I don't know if this is set in stone we can have a good discussion about it but my views is that it is not true.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ist-uncover-TRUTH-near-death-experiences.html

Hey guys I am new to the form but I found this interesting paper on a website but it is basically saying that this neurologist has discovered how to recreate near-death experiences and successfully he is getting a documentary on Nat Geo but I don't know if this is set in stone we can have a good discussion about it but my views is that it is not true.
choose a topical subject, and make a documentary about a subject which has the potential to get good viewing figures.

But content wise... judging from Steven Laureys past work, it's not likely to explain much, or even admit particular problems with these ideas.

choose a topical subject, and make a documentary about a subject which has the potential to get good viewing figures.

But content wise... judging from Steven Laureys past work, it's not likely to explain much, or even admit particular problems with these ideas.

yeah i looked at his work he is claiming i guess that he unlocked ndes knows how to make them and all that but i doubt it there had been many claims from science saying they made these we can make people have obes

yeah i looked at his work he is claiming i guess that he unlocked ndes knows how to make them and all that but i doubt it there had been many claims from science saying they made these we can make people have obes
I saw a clip from the documentary on Nat Geo web site, which showed VR beng used to create - what seemed to be claimed to be - an OBE like state by producing a conflict between body sensory input, and visual sensory input. Which is interesting.... But...

...The visual sensory input used was an above view of the subjects virtual body.

Thus they can only produce the effect using dislocated visual sensory input... real visual sensory input... and not an internally generated trick?

Oh boy! According to the article he's really made some amazing breakthroughs in NDE science! Or...not..

It's actually just rehashing more of the same materialist bullshit we've all come to know and loathe. I.E.

aspects included extreme events that put life in danger and sudden changes to blood supply, which alter oxygen levels to the brain.
Ooh, and this:
Dr Laureys also found it was possible to trigger a near-death experience through a combination of hyperventilating and rapid postural changes.

One of his researchers did this and described seeing light at the end of a tunnel...
Included are "hallucinations" and the "temporal parietal junction".

Nope, never heard any of this before.

:/ will they ever come up with something more compelling? Prolly not, seeing as they're barking up the wrong tree. It seems like they think that if they repeat this BS enough, it'll magically become true.

I agree. The use of VR implies that they are ignoring any possibility of veridicality a priori and instead trying to reduce the research to the creation a convincing "illusion"... A facsimile that only focuses in one part of the symptoms, like trying to mimic a panic attack by inducing a copper-like taste.

I am tired of seeing the same people, both for and against, in TV shows. 99% of the time they just rehash the same arguments and introduce them to a new public.

I agree. The use of VR implies that they are ignoring any possibility of veridicality a priori and instead trying to reduce the research to the creation a convincing "illusion"... A facsimile that only focuses in one part of the symptoms, like trying to mimic a panic attack by inducing a copper-like taste.

I am tired of seeing the same people, both for and against, in TV shows. 99% of the time they just rehash the same arguments and introduce them to a new public.
Interestingly enough, proving we can be fooled by illusion says nothing, absolutely nothing, about what or how consciousness is. Only that it can be fooled by illusion. Something we've known for a very long time. It also says nothing about the possibility of the universe as a simulation, except to perhaps lend some (tiny bit) validity to the idea.

Interestingly enough, proving we can be fooled by illusion says nothing, absolutely nothing, about what or how consciousness is. Only that it can be fooled by illusion. Something we've known for a very long time. It also says nothing about the possibility of the universe as a simulation, except to perhaps lend some (tiny bit) validity to the idea.
I would argue that it would only prove that it is dependent on the information presented to it, be it sensorial or otherwise, nothing more. Which, again, proves nothing about its actual nature.

yeah i have a sick friend who saw this paper is scared the crap out of him that's how i found it i just don't like how it claims says straight up we have recreated nde's i think its bull if any body can find a paper on this please let me know i don't understand how he got on nat geo for this that's what scared my friend if he got on a science channel like that must be real right lol not

Seems like something like this comes out every few months, I can almost predict what they're going to say without even reading them at this point, because it's the same BS every time
i feel good about shift in science and that there is an afterlife and all that because of the evidence then one day a mounth the atheist have a field day of papers

I think referencing TV shows in scientific arguments is utterly wrong. Talking of Laurels, he has 14 pages of publications he is the co-author of. Mostly in the field of consciousness disorders, coma, cardiac arrest and the like.

Last edited:
well i think he is wrong about the ndes and i forgot but he was working on coma people and that did not go well but its what ever i don't agree with him

The fact that 'truth' was in caps in the article's title revealed a lot before I even read it. These pop up every few years...never really revealing anything new.

Oh boy! According to the article he's really made some amazing breakthroughs in NDE science! Or...not..

It's actually just rehashing more of the same materialist bullshit we've all come to know and loathe. I.E.

Ooh, and this:

Included are "hallucinations" and the "temporal parietal junction".

Nope, never heard any of this before.

:/ will they ever come up with something more compelling? Prolly not, seeing as they're barking up the wrong tree. It seems like they think that if they repeat this BS enough, it'll magically become true.
I also wonder if these 'triggered' NDEs are actual NDEs. Do they leave the people fundamentally changed like natural experiences so often do?

The opening post here is a story in the Daily Mail. The topic of NDEs and related topics pops up quite frequently there, for example the work of Penny Sartori was covered, among others. I would caution against regarding this latest article as superseding all previous coverage, one really needs to look at the topic in its broader sense, consider a more diverse range of sources and views than this single article.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dramatic-evidence-says-banish-fear-dying.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...counts-intensive-care-nurse-astonish-you.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oungsters-young-six-months-lucid-visions.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...o-mystic-I-foresaw-beloved-grannys-death.html

Another source which should be considered is the recently-published book, "The Self Does Not Die: Verified Paranormal Phenomena from Near-Death Experiences"
http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/general-discussion-of-ndes-and-obes.3271/page-9#post-94907

Last edited: