Types's Top Ten

I wanted to post a current personal assessment of where I think the strongest data suggesting the survival of consciousness after bodily death lies. Please feel free to reply with your own top 10, so that I might compare and hopefully discover new areas to explore, thank you.

Updated as of 15 Jan 2015:

1. Cases of beyond-death experiences (a. peak-in-darien; b. veridical; c. medically-verified clinical death; d. children's reports)
2. Spirit drawings (a. peak-in-darien; b. veridical)
3. Scientifically-tested mediums (a. Windbridge Institute; b. BestPsychicMediums)
4. Cases of people recalling past lives (a. veridical; b. matching physical anomalies; c. children's reports)
5. Cases of spontaneous after-death communication (a. peak-in-darien; b. induced)
6. Cases of shared-death experiences
7. Cases of lucid dreams (a. veridical, b. veridical precognitive)
8. Cases of remote viewing
9. Cases of terminal lucidity
10. Reports of synchronicities

Honorable mention. Bernardo Kastrup

Last edited:
Thanks for the list TWF - comes in just at the right time with a discussion on life after death I'm attending tonight.

I do agree with your list with regards evidential data but of course the strongest evidence must be for the experiencers themselves - for instance I know people who have experienced physical materialisation who are 100 per cent convinced...but unfortunately that won't persuade others.

I generally agree with you, but I would like to make the following points:

1. The reincarnation is not data but a possible fact. Data are cases of human beings who seem to remember their past lives.

5. The fifth point is part of the fourth point.

10. Bernardo Kastrup is not data, but a person :)

Last edited:
I generally agree with you, but I would like to make the following points:

1. The reincarnation is not data but a possible fact. Data are cases of human beings who seem to remember their past lives.

5. The fifth point is part of the fourth point.

10. Bernardo Kastrup is not data, but a person :)
I thought labelling the whole shebang as reincarnation would be easier, but for my inconvenience, I've made the entry more accurate

Also, I separated mediumship from ADCs using Bill Guggenheim's definition of ADC, which he said is a spontaneous and unexpected appearance of a discarnate. So, not all mediums will have ADCs, and not all people who have ADCs will be mediums.

Lastly, I included Bernardo as tongue-in-cheek. He's a force of nature.

I might add to the list: personal experience. Not everyone has a veridical dream, or clairvoyant experience, but when you do, it does reinforce the other 10 items you listed.

My Best,
Bertha

I might add to the list: personal experience. Not everyone has a veridical dream, or clairvoyant experience, but when you do, it does reinforce the other 10 items you listed.

My Best,
Bertha
Yes, and I hope to have some of my own one day. This list is just what I think is currently the strongest data, not saying that it's the only data or the only valid data.

Yes, and I hope to have some of my own one day. This list is just what I think is currently the strongest data, not saying that it's the only data or the only valid data.
In a way it is two different sorts of data, which serve different purposes, and are not directly comparable. For example someone may come up with some earth-shattering results in a laboratory, but by the time the story reaches you and me, it's just one more piece of second-hand news. Personal experience may not have such a far reaching effect, but to the person having the experience, it can be worth very much more.

I've said this before, I think everyone has personal experiences, whether of psi or related to an afterlife. However we may miss these, for many reasons, such as being too preoccupied with other things to take notice, or having an inability to even see anything which is outside of our expectations ... and many other reasons, I'm not attempting a complete list here.

Edit: When I was a young child at school, I failed a standard hearing test, though my hearing was completely normal. With hindsight, it was the novel experience of wearing headphones, where the sound may appear to be inside one's head, which baffled me. I heard the sound, but dismissed it. Knowing what to expect plays a huge role in our ability to even notice something.

Last edited:
In a way it is two different sorts of data, which serve different purposes, and are not directly comparable. For example someone may come up with some earth-shattering results in a laboratory, but by the time the story reaches you and me, it's just one more piece of second-hand news. Personal experience may not have such a far reaching effect, but to the person having the experience, it can be worth very much more.

I've said this before, I think everyone has personal experiences, whether of psi or related to an afterlife. However we may miss these, for many reasons, such as being too preoccupied with other things to take notice, or having an inability to even see anything which is outside of our expectations ... and many other reasons, I'm not attempting a complete list here.

Edit: When I was a young child at school, I failed a standard hearing test, though my hearing was completely normal. With hindsight, it was the novel experience of wearing headphones, where the sound may appear to be inside one's head, which baffled me. I heard the sound, but dismissed it. Knowing what to expect plays a huge role in our ability to even notice something.
I agree with everything you said. You make a very apt metaphor with your personal story, thanks.

1. Children who claim to remember past lives

2. Mediumship

3. Apparitions and After-Death Communications

4. Shared Death Experiences

5. Near-Death Experiences

6. Deathbed Visions

7. Out-of-Body Experiences

8. Terminal Lucidity