Well... What's the harm?

I think this could be part of the problem. Often CAM users have little idea what they're taking, labelling can be incomplete or misleading, there's no written record of it, and as for dosage... :eek:
I'm not familiar with the CAM acronym, and maybe this article specifically talks about supplements, but homeopathy and things like distant healing have, at least to a degree, shown effects in formal studies. I don't think dosages are issues there.

Cheers,
Bill

I'm not familiar with the CAM acronym, and maybe this article specifically talks about supplements, but homeopathy and things like distant healing have, at least to a degree, shown effects in formal studies. I don't think dosages are issues there.

Cheers,
Bill
CAM = Complimentary and Alternative Medicine. Some prefer So-called Complimentary and Alternative Medicine.

You are correct: Dose is very unlikely to be an issue in homeopathy dilutions or distance healing. Those practices weren't the focus of the report.

In the context of cancer treatment I would suppose that the vast majority of patients will talk to their doctors about supplements or other active substances they may be taking. It's in their best interest

Heh. One would think that.

Plus there are many helpful supplements that doctors can use to mitigate the horrid side effects of allopathic cancer treatments, boost immunity, lower inflammation... It's not a matter of either/or... It's more about common sense.

Common sense, ay? ;). Also what exactly do you mean by "boost immunity"?

Last edited:
You are correct: Dose is very unlikely to be an issue in homeopathy dilutions or distance healing. Those practices weren't the focus of the report.
Ah yes, if they were, then they would have surely have been talking about the ancient topic of heart/brain coherence.

Cheers,
Bill

Also what exactly do you mean by "boost immunity"?
Let's see... boost = increase, improve -- immunity = the body's immune system function.
Since your post was all about generic statements, I thought I could contribute ;)

Made clear to homeopaths?
Why? They are not those who categorically deny the existence of water properties for which there is intriguing, although insufficient, experimental evidence.

One more religious war we could very well live without.
smiley_emoticons_stevieh_rolleyes.gif

Let's see... boost = increase, improve -- immunity = the body's immune system function.
Since your post was all about generic statements, I thought I could contribute ;)

Could you please not underline words in your comments? I always think they're links and it ends up being a waste of time and effort moving my pointer all the way over to the word and clicking on it only to find that you decided to underline a word for pretty much no reason other than to piss me off. Use the bold from now on.

Reactions: tim
Could you please not underline words in your comments? I always think they're links and it ends up being a waste of time and effort moving my pointer all the way over to the word and clicking on it only to find that you decided to underline a word for pretty much no reason other than to piss me off. Use the bold from now on.
I will certainly do that, sir :)

I don't know what to make of this article.
The title screams "homeopathy" and "vitamins" (that have nothing in common) and the text says the man was cured with "fungi and alcohol" (?) ... besides the poor level of journalism I am not sure I can really understand anything else from this. :(

Well, if you scroll down the page, you will come along a "Read More" section that will let you know exactly what editorial line the independent pushes about this topic and that will most likely give you an idea about the reason that they put "booze and fungi" stuff under the term.

I should probably come clean here and admit that I'm not a supporter of homeopathy, but seeing an obviously biased editorial line (not even one positive or so-so headline available to balance that "Read More"? Really?) is telling. I guess that since other branches emerged from "quackery" (i.e. Where do you think that pharmacognosy began its study of medicinal plants? Folk medicine, obviously), there is still a possibility that some of these practices could offer some benefit, and this publication shuts the door and throws out the key.

I believe I mentioned this before, but I talked to an oncologist about "natural medicine" or whatever we call it. He said given the limits of "materialist medicine" at this time, he advises people to avoid specific "natural treatments" that can interfere with regular treatment but isn't otherwise completely opposed in all cases.

It seems to me that one can rationally combine different kind of treatments across the spectrum, especially when treatments are not herbal but more like meditation or rituals or whatever.

=-=-=

Medical errors may be third leading cause of death in the U.S.

In fact, the study, from doctors at Johns Hopkins, suggests medical errors may kill more people than lower respiratory diseases like emphysema and bronchitis do. That would make these medical mistakes the third leading cause of death in the United States. That would place medical errors right behind heart disease and cancer.

Through their analysis of four other studies examining death rate information, the doctors estimate there are at least 251,454 deaths due to medical errors annually in the United States. The authors believe the number is actually much higher, as home and nursing home deaths are not counted in that total.

The study gives an example of exactly how limited the death certificates are when it comes to recording medical errors. One example involved a patient who had a successful organ transplant and seemed healthy, but had to go back to the hospital for a non-specific complaint. During tests to determine what was wrong, a doctor accidentally cut her liver and hadn't realized it. The hospital sent her home, but she returned with internal bleeding and went into cardiac arrest and later died. It was the cut that led to her death, but her death certificate only listed a cardiovascular issue as the cause.

"There is a strong moral case for innovations in this area, but there isn't really a financial case for hospitals to improve this system the way it is," Makary said. Funding for research on medical errors is also extremely limited.
The problem is not unique to the United States. Earlier studies have shown undercounted medical errors are a problem in hospitals throughout the world.

Back