What are you watching?

Enjoyed Jessica Jones and 1st season of Daredevil (2nd season, not so much). How's this compare?

I'd say it's up there with the first seasons of those two.

Rewatching parts of Daredevil Season 2 now, it's actually better the second time around...when you can skip parts...

Yeah DC movies are laughable.

Flash & Arrow started off strong but fell apart across seasons.

Also I watched Arrow until the Damien Dahrk arc. I can't believe I even held on that long, the show fell apart after Deathstroke. I disliked the cross over episodes with The Flash, honestly because I never watched that show. It's not a good strategy to push content on your viewers in my opinion. That is the only current DC show I had watched.

I laughed at the one star rating for SuperGirl on Netflix, that was a no-brainer.

What parts are you talking about Sciborg? I guess I am just comparing notes. :)

Nothing in particular. I did fast forward past some of the romantic stuff - it was fine the first time around but I do think overall the second season could have been more streamlined.

Also I watched Arrow until the Damien Dahrk arc. I can't believe I even held on that long, the show fell apart after Deathstroke. I disliked the cross over episodes with The Flash, honestly because I never watched that show. It's not a good strategy to push content on your viewers in my opinion. That is the only current DC show I had watched.

I laughed at the one star rating for SuperGirl on Netflix, that was a no-brainer.

Supergirl has close to full five stars?

I think this is a problem with Netflix, hard (impossible?) to know how many people have rated a show.

Looks interesting I will check it out. I find it funny that the two biggest themes in horror movies are the dystopian view where human beings seem to be harming each other with the added spice of infected/zombies. Horror movies seem to ride that wave of influence more than other genres. I still remember seeing the first Saw movie in the theater when it came out. That seemed to be the huge trend setter for the 7 foot maniac with a hockey mask and machete being the aggressor - being replaced with the average Joe (at least with the mass appeal it generated). The funny thing is I remember the audience in the theater laughing hysterically during the most violent parts of Saw - I remember spinning my head around - it felt like something out of a George Orwell novel. I mean there were six Saw movies and three Hostels - the torture narrative is popular - and a movie like Martyrs is the creepy uncle of that genre. I will just say, we are becoming a very desensitized society. I would not say any of those movies have a particularly strong plot, they are just pure shock factor and can have an air of pretentiousness.

Me personally I rate horror movies very differently than other genres. Most are a one off for me, they lose their magic after being viewed. It's the adrenaline rush of not knowing what is going to happen, and the discomfort that comes with it that makes it fun. Horror movies were more of a stress test to me than just normal viewing. Now other genres like comedy I can watch again and again - just ask me to quote the Step Brothers film. Campy horror movies like Friday the 13th, I would watch again if someone had it on, but I would not go out of my way to watch it. To be honest I turned 30 this year, I am finding it more difficult to view movies that are violent for the sake of being violent. It's hard for me to even watch MMA anymore, something I am a huge fan of. I don't know if it's me becoming more mature or something else.

Malf I have to ask how did you not enjoy the second season of Daredevil? I mean it had my main man Frank Castle, and the actor played that role brilliantly. Excited he is getting a stand alone series.

(Do have to admit they went a little overboard with the ninjas though). But that is a huge theme in Daredevil lore.
:) Just preferred season 1. Liked the grungey daredevil without the suit.

Nothing in particular. I did fast forward past some of the romantic stuff - it was fine the first time around but I do think overall the second season could have been more streamlined.

Got it, I was wondering if you found Foggy as annoying as I do. I disliked the Daredevil movie with Affleck (no big surprise there). But I found the way Jon Favreau played Foggy much more tolerable than the series now. Have him around for comic relief sure, but stop beating the protagonist over the head with your moral compass every 30 seconds.

Supergirl has close to full five stars?

I think this is a problem with Netflix, hard (impossible?) to know how many people have rated a show.

No a whopping one star. The rating system seems to pull its weight, still has its flaws though. People have their own personal taste and can rate a well done movie one star, one of the reasons I don't care about rotten tomatoes or sites dedicated to that sole purpose.

:) Just preferred season 1. Liked the grungey daredevil without the suit.

Got ya.

Got it, I was wondering if you found Foggy as annoying as I do. I disliked the Daredevil movie with Affleck (no big surprise there). But I found the way Jon Favreau played Foggy much more tolerable than the series now. Have him around for comic relief sure, but stop beating the protagonist over the head with your moral compass every 30 seconds.

I go back and forth with Foggy. At times he seems really annoying, other times I find him amusing.

I am a horror movie junkie, but I am finding the genre to be very stale. I saw that about a month ago, It was very easy to anticipate the jump scares and where the story was going in general. But it was still very well done, I heard they are making a movie with the nun. Can you guess what the title will be? Drum roll ba da tssh The Nun.....
Yeah, lot of the movies coming out in that genre is pretty bad and/or on a shoestring-budget with sub-par actors. The Conjuring 1 & 2 are pretty OK, but as always when they make movies "based on a true story" they loosely use the foundation of what reportedly happened, and then take it into Hollywood-overdrive. I guess you know the base stories of these 2 movies, but for those who doesn't, you can watch these;

(I started to write a bit about the Enfield Poltergeist-case here, that The Conjuring 2 are loosely based on, but it became a rather long post so I moved it to a new thread instead , so you can read about it there if you are interested >> http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/poltergeists-different-cases.3469/ )

But anyway, if you want to see a better dramatization of the Enfield Poltergeist you should have a look at this 3-part miniseries called "The Enfield Haunting". It's pretty good. Better than Conjuring 2 >>

Regarding the first Conjuring-movie - and the case of the haunting of the Perron family - you can watch the dramatization, and interviews with the Perron family, about their experiences, in the Paranormal Withness-episode called "The Real Conjuring".>>

One of my favorite horror movies is Martyrs. The french version not the american, that is a very unique and just surreal horror film.

EDIT: Would like to clarify if anyone chooses to view the movie I mentioned. Please understand it is not your standard fare horror movie, I honestly can't put it into words. It is one of those movies that is highly uncomfortable to watch, that is the best way I can put it. Watch at your own risk I guess.
I have heard about this movie, but has refrained from seeing it as many says it was really disturbing on a deeper level than any ordinary horror movie. There have been a few other movies that I have also refrained from seeing, for the same reason. The oldest one was: "Salò - the 120 Days of Sodom" that was about the savagery a group of Mussolini-fascist in Italy, inflicted upon a group of young girls & boys they held captive during the end of the war. When they knew they were going to lose and/or get killed when the allied invasion forces arrived. they wanted to act upon these perverted debaucheries as a final act of having power over people like that. So, as this final opportunity to act like real savages and sadistic the young girls & boys t were subject to them for four months, and they inflicted perverted sex-acts, extreme violence, sadism, and sexual and mental torture, and physical tortures murder, on these victims. People I heard, who saw this film, was physically ill, and had to turn it off, or leave the room. So I passed on that one.

Naother one I skipped for pretty much the same reason was a film called A Serbian Movie. A really sick movie about rape, child molestation, human trafficking, and filming snuff-movies, and even performing necrophilia on their victims.

And then it is a final one, called The Human Centipede, where a perverted,and totally insane surgeon fulfils his twisted & insane dream of taking three people and surgically sewing these 3 people together, and making them to one single centipede-looking creation. He then use this "centipede" ( all 3 people very much alive) to train like a house-pet, and also for torture, perversion, and other generally insane whims. A movie - that people I knew, whom have seen this - almost throw up watching it. So I pass on it.

But I am a bit curious about Martyrs anyway. So I might watch it some time in the future, when/if I feel up for it.

Yeah, lot of the movies coming out in that genre is pretty bad and/or on a shoestring-budget with sub-par actors. The Conjuring 1 & 2 are pretty OK, but as always when they make movies "based on a true story" they loosely use the foundation of what reportedly happened, and then take it into Hollywood-overdrive. I guess you know the base stories of these 2 movies, but for those who doesn't, you can watch these;

I am pretty selective in what I watch in the horror genre, not that I am some snob, but I want something not beat into the ground. I would agree with your critique of Conjuring 1&2 as just OK, that pretty much sums up how I feel about it. I knew the backstory of what the second Conjuring was based on, but not in great detail.

I have heard about this movie, but has refrained from seeing it as many says it was really disturbing on a deeper level than any ordinary horror movie. There have been a few other movies that I have also refrained from seeing, for the same reason. The oldest one was: "Salò - the 120 Days of Sodom" that was about the savagery a group of Mussolini-fascist in Italy, inflicted upon a group of young girls & boys they held captive during the end of the war. When they knew they were going to lose and/or get killed when the allied invasion forces arrived. they wanted to act upon these perverted debaucheries as a final act of having power over people like that. So, as this final opportunity to act like real savages and sadistic the young girls & boys t were subject to them for four months, and they inflicted perverted sex-acts, extreme violence, sadism, and sexual and mental torture, and physical tortures murder, on these victims. People I heard, who saw this film, was physically ill, and had to turn it off, or leave the room. So I passed on that one.

Naother one I skipped for pretty much the same reason was a film called A Serbian Movie. A really sick movie about rape, child molestation, human trafficking, and filming snuff-movies, and even performing necrophilia on their victims.

And then it is a final one, called The Human Centipede, where a perverted,and totally insane surgeon fulfils his twisted & insane dream of taking three people and surgically sewing these 3 people together, and making them to one single centipede-looking creation. He then use this "centipede" ( all 3 people very much alive) to train like a house-pet, and also for torture, perversion, and other generally insane whims. A movie - that people I knew, whom have seen this - almost throw up watching it. So I pass on it.

But I am a bit curious about Martyrs anyway. So I might watch it some time in the future, when/if I feel up for it.

Personally the only reason Martyrs is up on the list for me is because I went into it with no background knowledge. If I knew anything about it I would probably not rate it that high. It's well executed, but the story is nothing special, and the ending felt tacked on. I would not watch it again myself, but I don't really watch any horror movies a second time. I guess I will link what I wrote in a previous post in case you did not read it. Sums up how I rate horror to other genres differently.

I find it funny that the two biggest themes in horror movies are the dystopian view where human beings seem to be harming each other with the added spice of infected/zombies. Horror movies seem to ride that wave of influence more than other genres. I still remember seeing the first Saw movie in the theater when it came out. That seemed to be the huge trend setter for the 7 foot maniac with a hockey mask and machete being the aggressor - being replaced with the average Joe (at least with the mass appeal it generated). The funny thing is I remember the audience in the theater laughing hysterically during the most violent parts of Saw - I remember spinning my head around - it felt like something out of a George Orwell novel. I mean there were six Saw movies and three Hostels - the torture narrative is popular - and a movie like Martyrs is the creepy uncle of that genre. I will just say, we are becoming a very desensitized society. I would not say any of those movies have a particularly strong plot, they are just pure shock factor and can have an air of pretentiousness.

Me personally I rate horror movies very differently than other genres. Most are a one off for me, they lose their magic after being viewed. It's the adrenaline rush of not knowing what is going to happen, and the discomfort that comes with it that makes it fun. Horror movies were more of a stress test to me than just normal viewing. Now other genres like comedy I can watch again and again - just ask me to quote the Step Brothers film. Campy horror movies like Friday the 13th, I would watch again if someone had it on, but I would not go out of my way to watch it. To be honest I turned 30 this year, I am finding it more difficult to view movies that are violent for the sake of being violent. It's hard for me to even watch MMA anymore, something I am a huge fan of. I don't know if it's me becoming more mature or something else.

I skipped Human Centipede, I could tell that it was going to be dumb. I did watch A Serbian Movie, it's everything you said, I won't even go into it, I would just call it crap. Sorry, I am rating and giving the same amount of detail a 15 year old would on IMDB, but it's really all the attention those movies deserve.

I enjoy talking to people about what they like to watch as far as media, mainly because I don't think it defines someone in the least. I'm a German and Irish guy from NY and most of my favorite movies are Korean cinema. Some of my favorite television series off the top of my head are The Wire and Eastbound & Down, no definable pattern there. :)

I will check out your links tonight, thanks.

I cannot recommend enough this brilliant documentary by Adam Curtis, another excellent addition to the canon of his works which should be watched in it's entirety in chronological order!

Is available on BBC iPlayer, but there must be ways to get it outside the UK. Highly recommended.

HyperNormalisation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04b183c/adam-curtis-hypernormalisation

Adam Curtis-HyperNormalisation
We live in a time of great uncertainty and confusion. Events keep happening that seem inexplicable and out of control. Donald Trump, Brexit, the War in Syria, the endless migrant crisis, random bomb attacks. And those who are supposed to be in power are paralysed - they have no idea what to do.

This film is the epic story of how we got to this strange place. It explains not only why these chaotic events are happening - but also why we, and our politicians, cannot understand them.

It shows that what has happened is that all of us in the West - not just the politicians and the journalists and the experts, but we ourselves - have retreated into a simplified, and often completely fake version of the world. But because it is all around us we accept it as normal.

But there is another world outside. Forces that politicians tried to forget and bury forty years ago - that then festered and mutated - but which are now turning on us with a vengeful fury. Piercing though the wall of our fake world.

Thanks Manjit will check it out though I'm currently consuming less intellectual fare:

I cannot recommend enough this brilliant documentary by Adam Curtis, another excellent addition to the canon of his works which should be watched in it's entirety in chronological order!

Is available on BBC iPlayer, but there must be ways to get it outside the UK. Highly recommended.

HyperNormalisation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04b183c/adam-curtis-hypernormalisation

You can watch it here. It is very interesting actually - and long.

I recommend that you download it though, because BBC are pretty quick on alerting YouTube to take down any BBC-material.
If you use Firefox as a browser I can recommend this easy-to-use plug-in >> https://www.yourvideofile.org/
Here is some instructions on how to use it >> https://www.yourvideofile.org/usage.html

Adam Curtis - HyperNormalisation BBC Documentary 2016

Back