What is the deal with the ASPR?

• Thread starter Sciborg_S_Patel
  • Start date
S

Sciborg_S_Patel

What is the deal with the ASPR?

While I was researching my book about the Duke Parapsychology Laboratory I repeatedly tried to explore the ASPR archives (American Society for Psychical Research) but I was never granted access. For a year and a half they put me off and I finally accepted that they just didn’t want me to see anything. They wouldn’t even tell me what they had. I’ve since learned I’m just one in a long line of people who had similar experiences with the ASPR.

Why? What a shame it is, because I imagine they house a valuable treasure trove of parapsychology history. Why don’t they want anyone (or few people?) to actually use their collections? Maybe there’s a problem. When I wrote about the NYPD’s cold case squad it also took a long time to be given access to the Property Clerk Division warehouse, and when I finally got inside I could see why. Much of what was supposed to be there was missing, and some of what was there was poorly maintained.

My dealings with the ASPR is so contrary to every other experience I had researching parapsychology. The people at the Rhine Research Center, the Parapsychology Foundation, the Division of Perceptual Studies at the University of Virginia, and of course the Special Collections Library at Duke, couldn’t have been more professional, encouraging and helpful. They want people to use their collections.

What is going over there at the ASPR? Their website looks like it hasn’t been updated in years. Perhaps someone who has made it inside or who used to work there can explain why the ASPR is so determined to prevent researchers from accessing their archives?

Sciborg, Michael Prescott has a recent post about the ASPR:

Decline and fall

For what it's worth, I discovered their tax returns for 2001 through 2012, and listed the hefty compensation for the executive director for those years. MP explored the returns more fully, noting that:

The 2012 return, viewable at the link Doug D. provided, shows that the ASPR had assets of $2.93 million at the beginning of that year, but only $2.07 million at the end. In addition to $170,000 in salaries, they had "other expenses" of $780,000, for a total expenditure of $950,000. Their income consisted of $32,000 in grants and $2,000 in investment income. In short, they seem to be burning through a large endowment rather quickly.

Doug

Looks like it's being milked dry by the governing board and it's single employee. The statements made to support it's tax status really don't bear any relation to reality.

There is a huge mortgage outstanding $5m +, which they appear to only being paying the interest on. The societies actual income is tiny and can't cover it whatsoever, it can't even cover Patrice Keane's salary. I'm guessing they have remortgaged their headquarters, and are busy asset stripping as much money out of it as they can. Expenses were close to $1m last year, about half of that was interest payments.

Shocking really... for you lot in the USA, it seems like it would be possible to seize control from the current board who do not appear to be running the society properly. Time is running out though, if they keep chewing through their cash at this rate.

http://pdfs.citizenaudit.org/2013_12_EO/13-1655205_990_201212.pdf

Last edited:
Looks like it's being milked dry by the governing board and it's single employee. The statements made to support it's tax status really don't bear any relation to reality.

There is a huge mortgage outstanding $5m +, which they appear to only being paying the interest on. The societies actual income is tiny and can't cover it whatsoever, it can't even cover Patrice Keane's salary. I'm guessing they have remortgaged their headquarters, and are busy asset stripping as much money out of it as they can. Expenses were close to $1m last year, about half of that was interest payments.

Shocking really... for you lot in the USA, it seems like it would be possible to seize control from the current board who do not appear to be running the society properly. Time is running out though, if they keep chewing through their cash at this rate.

http://pdfs.citizenaudit.org/2013_12_EO/13-1655205_990_201212.pdf
If they owe more than they're worth and there is no real income, then it's basically over.