When Talk of Healing Breaks the Law

Years ago I remember reading a couple of books by Matthew Manning when he was being touted as a rival to Uri Geller as a psychic extraordinaire with weird phenomena following him including poltergeists and even a ghost he shook hands with.

Tired of scientific testing Matthew, who had success with psychically affecting seeds and cells, focused on healing which I gather he's done ever since.

Although it's a couple of years old I enjoyed this lecture by a much more mature Matthew at a cancer conference in Totnes, Devon, UK

It seems that conference had caused a huge rumpus in the town because it was due to be held in the civic centre but was banned there by the Trading Standards Department which claimed it contravened the law over cancer cure claims. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-17441970

Admittedly the authorities seemed more concerned about other speakers at the conference whose clams sailed close to the wind - but in Matthew's lecture above he has some strong things to say about curbs on his rights to speak out about his healing work.

He talks of experiments where he switched on light bulbs with his mind and killed cancer cells and challenges Trading Standards to take action when he works doing distant healing.

It seems he's no further forward in understanding what actually is going on than when he launched his career 40 years ago - and even suggests the healing might work better if he doesn't know how it operates.

Totnes is something of a hippie New Age town rather like Glastonbury - does anybody know whether it held further events like this?

The sceptics main beef about paranormal healing - apart from declaring it BS despite evidence to the contrary - is that sick people could die going after alternatives instead of sticking to the mainstream.

Matthew seems to get round this by working with surgeons who even refer patients to him.

Any comments or views people?

Last edited: