Why is "meaning" good?

Well, I guess I would rather be a narcissist than a nihilist.

I think fundamentally we're all narcissists. Logically speaking there's absolutely no reason to take any action or hold any belief whatsoever. Thus the moment you do, you're a narcissist. All I try to do is recognize that in an attempt to keep myself from becoming what I hate.

Because dogma is based soley on emotion. As your sig says "When dogma enters the brain, all intellectual activity ceases."

People don't hold onto dogma because they've thought it through, they hold onto it because it makes them feel good. The idea of letting it go is scary and makes them feel lost and isolated if it were to happen. Hence why all intellectual activity ceases when dogma enters the brain.

My saying does not mean that feelings are bad, just that they are what lead to the concept of facts AKA dogma, not logic.

Because dogma is based soley on emotion. As your sig says "When dogma enters the brain, all intellectual activity ceases."

People don't hold onto dogma because they've thought it through, they hold onto it because it makes them feel good. The idea of letting it go is scary and makes them feel lost and isolated if it were to happen. Hence why all intellectual activity ceases when dogma enters the brain.

My saying does not mean that feelings are bad, just that they are what lead to the concept of facts AKA dogma, not logic.
That doesn't explain what you wrote but I won't argue.

They [the opposing reactions to a person who says "I'm going to rape, torture and kill this young child"] are both equally valid because in reference to infinity both have no impact whatsoever.

In reference to infinity?! What about in reference to the child?

I personally think the whole rape torture thing is bad, however I also understand that it is only my personal position even if a large amount of other people also hold it

There's a very good reason why many (most) people hold that view: because they know that such an act is incredibly harmful to the child - and that's the very simple heart of objective morality.

To some muslims it is not just morally good to rape the children of non muslims but a religious duty

Ignoring the question of whether that which you say of some Muslims is true: not all moral codes are moral. Just like not everybody who claims to be an artist can paint the Mona Lisa.

Just like not everybody who claims to be an artist can paint the Mona Lisa.

I can sort of see where he's going with this, not that I agree in the slightest with the amoral position, but it seems to me that he (she?) has dug a deep hole and can't stop digging. Yes, there is a big picture and our human drama is a small part of it but, for me, the purpose of the drama (and I believe there is a purpose) is to know love.

I think this needs saying: religions - at core - stress that God is Love. Whether you subscribe to New Age views or deep philosophical or theological teaching, the term Light is Love will be central. The light described in NDEs is said to be unconditional: the experiencer can feel that without being told. Again, I can't think of an act such as torture - children or otherwise - which can be described as a loving act. That's not just semantics: we know it deep in our souls.

Back