why science is wrong… about almost everything — review by Society for Psychical Research

... so many of the threads in here, and the discussions, and the emotions, all point to a book with the title "how to live with liars amongst us, and why this ego they installed into me needs to take a permanent vacation"
Is this a book that you want to write, or has it been written already?

David

I'd write that book, but not before I make a movie called "The Last Butterfly" because that is more important.

Here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/29/opinion/insect-armageddon-ecosystem-.html

And here:

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...eddon-after-dramatic-plunge-in-insect-numbers

One from observations in America, the other Europe, and the fact that the "science" as professed by the mainscream media is so wrong that this was allowed to occur is beyond abhorrent. It is mind numbingly stupid, as is what they profess to be science, or fact, and their use of the word "scientists" and "experts" is more rampant than their use of words like "terrorists" and "extremists", and every time they use the word scientists or experts what is to follow is absolute garbage, junk, science. When I graduated from secondary school, there was no 'school of scientists', but I'll tell you this, if I had found a 'schools of experts' I'd have steady and constant employ today as such, wouldn't I?

In any event, science itself is not wrong about anything however what comes from the top down control system which is in place planet wide here today: everything is wrong. And, they brag about this, and pat themselves on the back for it. There is even an Exxon Mobil Institute of Atmospheric Science at every major university on the planet today. They're not going to sell any gasoline to anyone when they're all dead because of the alteration to the composition of the atmosphere that gasoline and diesel fuels have caused, but they press on anyway ...

"You need to prepare this world for your own arrival"

"Everything Science tells us about the physical universe is ultimately wrong if it fails to recognize the fundamental nature of consciousness and the underlying role of consciousness in every physical phenomenon that occurs."

I don't see how Science can be right about anything as long as the consciousnesses of scientists don't understand themselves and their own role in the existence of the physical universe. The materialist, naturalist world view of most scientists ignores the fact that consciousness is fundamental and all matter is dependent on consciousness for its existence. Everything Science tells us about the physical universe is ultimately wrong if it fails to recognize the fundamental nature of consciousness and the underlying role of consciousness in every physical phenomenon that occurs. Double slit experiments, quantum entanglement, and the quantum Zeno effect demonstrate this role yet scientists refuse to accept it along with the many other independent forms of evidence demonstrating that consciousness is not produced by the brain. Consciousness cannot be produced by any physical process. How could the changing concentration of ions across the membranes of brain cells produce what the color blue looks like to you? The brain might store data about the wavelength of light falling on the retina, or it might perform calculations on that data, but how could a computational device produce the subjective experience of what a color looks like? Consciousness is fundamentally different from any physical property or process and therefore cannot be produced by the brain. What could be more important to Science than the huge gaps this reveals in the scientific world view? What could be more important to humanity? Science has failed at its most basic and fundamental duty. When Science adopted naturalism it ironically left religion as the best source of information about consciousness and the origin of matter. Until science gives up naturalism and corrects its mistakes, Science will never be what it claims to be: an objective search for truth.

After reading this post I sat here and thought for a few moments, "how could anybody think, scientist or otherwise, that random colliding particles produce consciousness?" Then I literally laughed out loud for a couple moments. Its a strange position to hold. Yet it's massively popular, amongst intelligent folk and unintelligent folk. I legitimately find it bizarre. Its as if a huge collective blindfold has been placed over their eyes.

After reading this post I sat here and thought for a few moments, "how could anybody think, scientist or otherwise, that random colliding particles produce consciousness?" Then I literally laughed out loud for a couple moments. Its a strange position to hold. Yet it's massively popular, amongst intelligent folk and unintelligent folk. I legitimately find it bizarre. Its as if a huge collective blindfold has been placed over their eyes.
Well of course, it is hard to imagine random particles colliding and producing computers, or chemistry or anything. Of course, chemistry comes straight out of QM, which makes for more interesting behaviour.

Even so, I know what you mean. I always used to thing that it was OK to draw outlandish conclusions in science, if there was rock-solid evidence, but the bizarre thing is that in so many cases you have the outlandish conclusions without the evidence!

The evidence for evolution by natural selection looks dodgy too!

David

The evidence for evolution by natural selection looks dodgy too!

David
I think mainstream science is caught in a thought process which looks something like the following, "life evolved into what we now know what it is through this outlined process (evolution). We know its this way since all that there is is this material reality. And since we are materialists, how else could have life formed? Its the only thing that makes sense and seems the only possibility."

It's difficult for me to imagine a materialistic position which does not thoroughly support the theory of evolution. There are those that debate the various mechanisms, but they still buy the theory as a whole. If I were a materialist, I'd fully support the theory of evolution as well. So that being the case, I don't think they can remove themselves from the theory of evolution unless they remove themselves from materialism. Generally speaking.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/you-do-not-think-alone/

People overestimate how well they understand how things work. Direct evidence for this comes from the psychological laboratory. The great Yale psychologist Frank Keil and his students first demonstrated the illusion of explanatory depth, what we call the knowledge illusion. He asked people how well they understand how everyday objects (zippers, toilets, ballpoint pens) work. On average, people felt they had a reasonable understanding (at the middle of a 7-point scale). Then Keil asked them to explain how they work. People failed miserably. For the most part, people just can’t articulate the mechanisms that drive even the simplest things.
"Is the “Skeptical Thing” Over?"

In the video below, Scott Adams, who is a trained hypnotist and writer on the psychology of persuasion (in addition to being the author of the comic strip Dilbert), says people are 90% irrational and 10% rational. We make decisions based on emotions not facts. He says you can't be a hypnotist if you don't understand that because otherwise nothing about hypnotism would make sense. He also brings up the argument that evolution selects for reproductive success not rationality.

I wanted to understand more about this so I looked into some references on persuasion to see how people are influenced by factors other than facts and logic. Adams has a list of recommended books on persuasion and I tried to find information online about what those authors wrote. What I found is that the vast majority of the techniques of persuasion identified by experts are based on psychological or rhetorical "tricks" that have nothing to do with facts and logic. I think that is what Adams means when he says people are not rational.

Part of the problem is that groupthink creates an illusion of understanding. People think they believe things because they understand them, but they really believe them only because other people believe them.

https://www.economist.com/news/book...g-knowledge-between-minds-making-people-think

DO YOU know how a toilet works? What about a bicycle, or a zipper? Most people can provide half answers at best. They struggle to explain basic inventions, let alone more complex and abstract ones. Yet somehow, in spite of people’s ignorance, they created and navigate the modern world. A new book, “The Knowledge Illusion” sets out to tackle this apparent paradox: how can human thinking be so powerful, yet so shallow?

The authors call this the illusion of understanding, and they demonstrate it with a simple experiment. Subjects are asked to rate their understanding of something, then to write a detailed account of it, and finally to rate their understanding again. The self-assessments almost invariably drop. The authors see this effect everywhere, from toilets and bicycles to complex policy issues. The illusion exists, they argue, because humans evolved as part of a hive mind, and are so intuitively adept at co-operation that the lines between minds become blurred.

Last edited:
Monkey see, Monkey do. It's too simple. And when Rupert Sheldrake did a Ted Talk called "The Ten Dogmas of Science" he just scratched the surface. This top down system we all live under, more so in the English speaking parts of the world than anywhere else, has a mandate for the general population, and that is spelled out in George Orwell's book 1984, and that is the erroneous mathematical formula 2+2=5.

There is no desire for anyone to be accurate about anything, and in fact their mandate expressly dictates otherwise. The media and institutions are completely saturated with bogus and garbage thinking about just about everything, and like chalk on a board the stupid rubs off on any who go near enough to it. I work in many fields of applied sciences, master electrician and master refrigeration mechanic, and I won't even discuss science or anything about it AT ALL with the "general population". The dogmas were carefully chosen and run deep, and even while people may agree that there is no place in science for a dogma (something which must be believed in its' entirety without question) they still can not let most of them go when confronted with one of them.

"You can not drink salt water" and "There is no such thing as perpetual motion" are just 2 of the myriad of false statements made that are pounded into everyone's heads from birth, and few even stop to ponder why these things are told to everyone in a blanket style manner which covers everyone, everywhere. Salt water cures toothaches on contact, body odour, skin diseases and cancer, and more, and, without perpetual motion, nothing you see would even exist at all, it is in fact perpetual motion which is the underlying force behind all matter everywhere, and yet, here we all are pondering instead the myriad of little Einsteins and Teslas that this system has produced. Legends in their own minds, but parrots is all they will ever amount to.

They were produced for a reason. Observe them if you must, but try to refrain from interacting with them if you can.

:)

Last edited:
Here is a good run-down of the education system itself. It seems to view a "nation of dummies" as a desirable outcome. They have locked down the means of production in factories, and all that exists for the general population today is to be a nation of useless consumers.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Just-Another-Piece-of-Quit-Lit/242756?#comment-3799864075
I'm a professor in an engineering discipline, and it's a familiar canard that STEM Ph.Ds easily get jobs. They don't, and we're overproducing as well. Further, we're sacrificing the quality of undergraduate education by channeling money to support these students, which are often from a very small handful of countries, with minimal potential to contribute to ours, or the world's economy, because our professors need their slave labor, and realize their positions are tenuous without continued research productivity. It's a very sick system, it's justified all different ways to Sunday, and it is going to break.

It was a long time ago, when things were probably better, but I made it into a post doc before giving it up. Many of the comments rang true, though I didn't fall prey to drink or tobacco, and met my partner (rather than losing her) while working on my masters!

Academia seems a strange place when you look back on it.

David

It's a very sick system

In Deed.

and it is going to break.

Well ... the problems with having a "system" in the first place originated centuries ago, many centuries ago, and any Johnny Come Lately who simply sees that a change is needed is pounced upon by all current members who will vehemently resist change; any change. This was destined to fail the day it set sail. This system is all about and has only ever been about: money. Currency and its issuance, and the problems in the education system are just symptoms of this greater malaise where the only function of these educational institutions today is to impose home like mortgages on all who attend while not even giving them any useful life skills at the end of it.

Coins.jpg

As long as currency has been around there have been the same factions marking their territory with it, and keeping themselves on the inside while keeping everyone else outside. These are coins from various centuries, and similar markings appear on all of them. Because of this division, everything on Earth was to be viewed as a commodity, and the actual value of a 5,000 year old tree was reduced to a dollar value if it was cut down and cut up and not the actual priceless value it had simply by remaining there alive.

While everyone has heard that "money is the root of all evil" none have any power to do anything of this, and where money has been made to be more valuable than life life will die.

And meanwhile, outside, it has already begun. Decades ago it began ripping through the insect, bird and fish populations globally, and 4 or 5 years ago now it moved into herd animals.

"Dotted across the grassy plain, as far as the eye could see, were the corpses of thousands upon thousands of Saiga Antelopes. All appeared to have fallen where they were feeding."

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ity-events-animal-conservation-climate-change

Across the Northern Hemisphere over the last 4 to 5 years entire herds of Reindeer, Caribou, Elk and Yaks have been observed dead on the ground, dropped where they were. Blue stains in their lips indicating the cause of death, and without missing a beat from this completely discordant drum drone, the legions of those who argue on behalf of maintaining the status quo chime in with name calling, ridiculous assertions, bogus and doctored "science" and ignorance of anything real. This system is set up to benefit a very small few while at the bane of all others and in spite of this the legions of those who have argued in favour of the fossil industrial complex and its' built in pre determined dependancy which is imposed on all drone on in spite of their own faces.

We are not going to a place that is ridiculous, that course was set down long ago, we are today just dealing with it some more while it is nothing new to us. Tolkien said of his books that the Orcs were the low IQ order followers, and these are what the money printers have used and continue to use against all. Orcs are too stupid to realise that they are shitting in their own beds, and for a few shiny coins will do anything master demands, and in the case of maintaining the fossil dependancy on all, everywhere, their performance has been exemplary. Over the last 5 decades the Orcs of the Fossil Industry have always consistently outnumbered those who simply realised that this is a living planet and needs be respected, and because of this, this living planet is all but dead today.

No matter where the problem lies, it is rooted in currency and its issuance, and: debt.

"We, the generation that faces the next century, can add the solemn injunction: If we don't do the impossible, we shall be faced with the unthinkable." - Petra Kelly. (this was written before the turn of the century, and like all other good advice from the past it went completely unheeded)

Last edited:
David,

Since the total increase in global temperature since 1880 is 0.8C, ask yourself if this is likely to be the real reason for this phenomenon.

David

See?

There are many malign effects of burning over 100 million barrels of oil per day, and you can only see one of them, and of that you bring forth no knowledge that you yourself have observed or recorded, you only bring forth what the media has told you of it, AND OF THAT you only chose what the media has said that is the least of the concerns.

And meanwhile, myself, Albert Einstein, Carl Sagan and Elon Musk have all spoken at great length of the altering of the composition of the atmosphere.

Tell me then David, what do blue stains in the lips indicate as the cause of death of an animal?

You can not even go outside anywhere on Earth any longer and photograph a mere dozen different types of insects; every light outside at night used to have a swarm of insects around it while today there are few to none remaining; virtually all of the insect, bird and fish species globally are presently unaccounted for; and herd animals have been dropping dead where they stand; and yet you still think it to be a good idea to quote the media on this?

Last edited:
http://dailycaller.com/2018/03/14/american-cartel-opioid-blood-money-sackler-family/
The Sackler family and Purdue Pharma, which is widely blamed for playing an essential role in starting the opioid epidemic, have given more than $1.3 million to U.S. candidates and another $1 million to political organizations since OxyContin’s creation, according to Center for Responsive Politics data, but that’s just the surface of how deep the pharmaceutical titans’ influence runs.
Purdue and other pharmaceutical companies spread propaganda and lobbied in favor of opioid prescribing through a variety of channels that are much less transparent than contributing money to political campaigns and groups, numerous investigations have shown.

Purdue launched a highly aggressive and deceptive marketing campaign following OxyContin’s late-1995 release, which effectivelyreversed doctors’ fearsof opioids’ addictiveness, a previous DCNF investigation found. The company and three top executives pleaded guilty in 2007 to misleading physicians and were forced to pay nearly $635 million in fines.
Purdue launched a highly aggressive and deceptive marketing campaign following OxyContin’s late-1995 release, which effectively reversed doctors’ fears of opioids’ addictiveness, a previous DCNF investigation found. The company and three top executives pleaded guilty in 2007 to misleading physicians and were forced to pay nearly $635 million in fines.

The examples of where the monied interests trump all other interests are plentiful in deed, Jim_Smith. In my example it is the most heavily subsidised industry which has EVER existed, and there has never been a shortage of Orcs to speak on behalf of it. On one side there is the trillions in subsidies to this sector, and on the other side? Not even the sound of crickets remains to oppose it.

10 million per minute.jpg

I'd like to thank David Bailey and all of the others who spoke on behalf of the oil companies over the last 5 decades, while a very small segment of the population tried in vain to avoid this catastrophe.

Your work in ensuring a continued existence of this sector has been monumental in something that they just could not have accomplished alone, and the tiny little group of shareholders of these oil companies applauds you efforts, and, having said this, I have to leave this forum now. It's been real, but, I gotta go.

"I have to leave this forum now. It's been real, but, I gotta go."

In case you weren't paying attention, or didn't grasp the sarcasm, David Bailey is an admin here, and I'm blaming him and all of the other Orcs like him who grunted profusely at anyone who simply noticed the changes going on planet wide here and spoke up about them. In my mind, his actions and many others are directly responsible for the death of Nature here.

Soooo ... do you think he's just going to take it? I doubted it. I still doubt it and I am wondering why I've not been booted yet.

"I have to leave this forum now. It's been real, but, I gotta go."

In case you weren't paying attention, or didn't grasp the sarcasm, David Bailey is an admin here, and I'm blaming him and all of the other Orcs like him who grunted profusely at anyone who simply noticed the changes going on planet wide here and spoke up about them. In my mind, his actions and many others are directly responsible for the death of Nature here.

Soooo ... do you think he's just going to take it? I doubted it. I still doubt it and I am wondering why I've not been booted yet.
Well, before you go, why not explain what is wrong with my figure for total global warming since 1880? Also, I don't speak on behalf of anyone but myself.

David

Back