Dr. Jeffrey Kripal Explores the Erotic in the Mystical & Religious |369|

Suppose you said, "Hey, this here's a big problem" (for some given problem) and then somebody responded, "Yes, but what about this tiny (in comparison) problem?"

But I don't want to derail this thread.
Well law simply has to deal with tiny problems. You never answered my question. Suppose you, or a member of your family, was treated like this - prosecuted for a crime that the police could see was false - would you really just shrug your shoulders and accept a 10 year sentence for the good of women in general?

I don't think for one second that Jim is trying to dismiss or belittle rape as a crime, he is trying to point out what can happen if the legal process is over-politicised.

As far as I can make out, Jim was linking to a somewhat similar case to the one I described:

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/?s=teach+women+not+to+rape

David

You seem to have missed - possibly deliberately - my point, but this exchange is off-topic in this thread, and I don't anyway want it to become an extended exchange.

I think you have to be careful to avoid mixing up different categories: spiritual, myth, and alien. You have to consider morality separately for each category.

I don’t think that we do. An alien breaking my finger is just as wrong as a demon breaking my finger in an NDE. This moves us too close to the “morals are subjective” and, by default, the “truth is subjective” line of reasoning which I abhor.

My belief, the reports of NDErs and evidential mediums, is that the afterlife consists of different regions with different characteristics. People go to regions where they will be among like minded people. This is more of a law of nature than a judgement. Death does not automatically turn you into a saint. But anytime someone wants to work their way up to the higher levels, they will receive the assistance they need to do so.
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/p/articles-and-links-arranged-by-subject.html#articles_by_subject_like

That I MAY be able to get behind ;)

You seem to have missed - possibly deliberately - my point, but this exchange is off-topic in this thread, and I don't anyway want it to become an extended exchange.
Linda had a habit sometimes of declaring a subject off topic rather than admitting a mistake!

More generally, and slightly more on topic, I think that there is a feeling among some people that (genuine) victims should define the way a subject is discussed. That means that if you mention a false accusation of rape/harassment/hate crime etc, you are automatically in the wrong for doing so, and/or you are in some way inclined to condone actual rape.

David

My belief, the reports of NDErs and evidential mediums, is that the afterlife consists of different regions with different characteristics. People go to regions where they will be among like minded people. This is more of a law of nature than a judgement. Death does not automatically turn you into a saint. But anytime someone wants to work their way up to the higher levels, they will receive the assistance they need to do so.
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/p/articles-and-links-arranged-by-subject.html#articles_by_subject_like
That I MAY be able to get behind ;)
I am inclined to agree - both from the bulk of the reports I have read, and from some sort of natural justice. It contrasts starkly with Pekka Ervast's visions of puratory.

David

I think Jeff was going for the idea that most academic institutions try, in principal at least, to be more tolerant of religious beliefs, sexual orientation, gender, etc than organized religions have to be. Religions get a free pass on discrimination, and that seems wrong to me, but they do and it's kind of entrenched in society that they can get away with such things. Maybe they don't burn witches anymore, but religion is still quite nasty at times.

That being said, I've had far more personal experience of misogyny from dealings with academics and academic institutions than I have from dealings with religious people or religious institutions. And I would also have to say that even my experiences dealing with sexual harassment from serving in the military pale in comparison with what I had to deal with as a university student. Women tend to be treated rather badly in academia, particularly in science. Academics don't want to know if the professor down the hall is a rapist. The universities definitely don't want anything bad coming to light about one of their esteemed faculty members. There is a tendency towards willful blindness and outright hostility if anyone challenges the status quo at a major university.
I tend to agree. the root cause is that academia is built on a moral-bankrupt atheistic principles that are completely ridiculous philosophically and completely contradicted by our best science. his whole presentation about tolerance and morality within academia sounds absurd to anyone outside of the system.

Reactions: K9!
This is exactly the point, David. This is why I liked K9's post calling Jim full of it - because he (and now you) choose to focus on the tiny minority of cases in which men are falsely accused of rape by women, instead of the vast majority of cases where women's claims of being raped by men are true, with many of those cases either going unreported to police or failing to result in justice. You must know that you're doing this, because you admit as much in that which I quoted, and if you reflected just a little, you would realise that you are simply revealing a shocking bias.
Thanks, Laird.

I tend to agree. the root cause is that academia is built on a moral-bankrupt atheistic principles that are completely ridiculous philosophically and completely contradicted by our best science. his whole presentation about tolerance and morality within academia sounds absurd to anyone outside of the system.
I think it's also important to note that morality and tolerance within our academic institutions has to do with what is dictated to those institutions by law. Churches fall under "religious freedom", which can circumvent requirements to adhere to laws against discrimination. If the universities had a similar hall pass, they would probably use it.

Last edited:
Religion and morality, are they mutually exclusive or not... that's a good question. From grade four to grade eight I went to a Catholic separate school. Our teacher was a twenty four year old very observant virgin lady. It seemed to me that anything to do with sex in her presence was a taboo topic. many of us as her students got the distinct feeling that our sex organs were dirty, repulsive and not to be touched, even by ourselves. This was supported by the Catholic catechism of the 1960's. Sadly that official church position remains to this day; a few years ago a bishop proclaimed masturbation to be, "an abomination." How stupid. If no one ever masturbated why would they feel any desire to share the experience with another person?
Meanwhile, without a word to anyone most older boys were learning how good it felt from time to time yet afterward feeling as if they were now among the damned. This was probably the greatest issue contributing to the eventual disinterest of the young in religion. Since religion was the common route to knowledge of God at the time, much abandonment of it may have led to the "immoral" counter culture atheistic era.
However, as the concept of a God has returned thanks due to the near death experiences and other experiences of many people, a form of morality seems to have returned with it. We are less inclined to opt for abortion now, I think.

Welcome Garry!
Religion and morality, are they mutually exclusive or not... that's a good question. From grade four to grade eight I went to a Catholic separate school. Our teacher was a twenty four year old very observant virgin lady. It seemed to me that anything to do with sex in her presence was a taboo topic. many of us as her students got the distinct feeling that our sex organs were dirty, repulsive and not to be touched, even by ourselves. This was supported by the Catholic catechism of the 1960's. Sadly that official church position remains to this day; a few years ago a bishop proclaimed masturbation to be, "an abomination." How stupid. If no one ever masturbated why would they feel any desire to share the experience with another person?
Meanwhile, without a word to anyone most older boys were learning how good it felt from time to time yet afterward feeling as if they were now among the damned. This was probably the greatest issue contributing to the eventual disinterest of the young in religion. Since religion was the common route to knowledge of God at the time, much abandonment of it may have led to the "immoral" counter culture atheistic era.
However, as the concept of a God has returned thanks due to the near death experiences and other experiences of many people, a form of morality seems to have returned with it. We are less inclined to opt for abortion now, I think.
I was brought up in the Church of England, which is milder that the Catholics. Thus masturbation was never mentioned as such, but even so, I came to realise that some Christians considered it a sin. I seem to remember, I once abstained for about 2 weeks!

Seriously though, the church did become a curse in people's lives, and it probably helped to create the very materialist society we now live in. To me, the important thing is that we in Skeptiko are trying to tease out some of the truth about the larger reality, and blind belief plays no part in this.

David

Since religion was the common route to knowledge of God at the time, much abandonment of it may have led to the "immoral" counter culture atheistic era.
Atheist-materialist culture has been with Western society for a long time. It accelerated with Darwin among people who looked to the Bible for physical explanations, and many lost faith in God in the killing fields of WW1, seeking reassurance through spiritism and similar post-materialist engagements. The counter culture saw the last vestiges of trust in orthodoxy removed, to be replaced by individualism. A culture of the politically empowered, morally autonomous, unaccountable, biological robot with ill-defined aspirations to niceness is what passes for ethical rigour today.

I've just read Brideshead Revisited, which records and predicts the dangers of individualism and the removal of a deity from moral reckoning. One may not agree with its message, but its prose is superb and lacks nothing in philosophical or literary weight.

I REALLY enjoyed this interview! Certainly was fun and makes me want to buy the book. :D

I see there's lots of interesting links and thoughts in this thread already, so I will catch up on those before commenting further. It's a super conversation b/c it can validly take a dozen different paths, which further demonstrates the benefits of this interview imo!

One question, anyone follow the Dr. Tracy story? I think it fits right in here on the academic path of the conversation.

https://www.activistpost.com/2017/1...ied-first-amendment-rights-federal-court.html

I REALLY enjoyed this interview! Certainly was fun and makes me want to buy the book. :D

I see there's lots of interesting links and thoughts in this thread already, so I will catch up on those before commenting further. It's a super conversation b/c it can validly take a dozen different paths, which further demonstrates the benefits of this interview imo!

One question, anyone follow the Dr. Tracy story? I think it fits right in here on the academic path of the conversation.

https://www.activistpost.com/2017/1...ied-first-amendment-rights-federal-court.html
thx for this... I was not aware of this case, but it does seem like a total miscarriage of justice.

But why would they be the same thing? He stated that there are religious figures who can change and affect somebody in a profound and great way just by touching them or speaking to them, but that the next day he might be off molesting a little boy.

I found this part of the convo especially fascinating, b/c I think he is right on a fundamental level. And as he states, reporting what is true is not the same as sanctioning it. Here is a decent argument for 'Christ consciousness' I guess. We need to be able to speak openly about ourselves and our institutions yet to speak openly is to suggest approval, which says something very vital about our cultural climate.

I have to completely disagree with Dr. Kripal that the uni today is about moral values of open-mindedness. I was nearly 30 years in the system between student and educator and I witnessed how easily manipulated students are as well as teachers by 'the curriculum' which for the vast majority of education is now completely set in stone. I had some great profs of course, and some great students, but that was not the norm. Open-minded about shallow things, there I could agree--culture, color, creed, take-out. But there is no authentic respect and intellectual curiosity for dissenting viewpoints if those stray from acceptable current norms (of victim culture mostly) and there is absolutely a collectivist agenda, on this I have no doubt. There is also an obvious 'dismantling' of the power of white men in the culture which is obvious in MSM, education, politics, medicine, etc. Is it deserved and appropriate? Personally I think it's by design and nefarious and the backlash and drop out rate of good men from the pool of givers in the culture will far outweigh any benefit to the rest of us. Signaling out 'white men' as demonstrating more group preference than any other group is simply absurd and will come to bite us all in the arse.

Even in this interview Kripal has the 'auto-laugh' that comes with even saying the word 'conspiracy' and tacks that on, as I have myself, to 'worldview agenda' and control, which is of course as old as time and perfectly acceptable. I think he might be off the mark here, but playing his role of 'objective academic' (when he is able to play it and not fall into his own traps!).

I find him quite clever and fascinating person and intend to read his latest book at least, so I don't mean to come off too critical here, but there was that 'living in a bubble and loving it' feeling I get from him. But, maybe I'm projecting . . . :)

In any case I do think he achieves something precious in this interview which I find so exceptionally rare--I get the sense he really wants the conversation, loves the learning, knows the battles are a needed part of the adventure and really wants to inspire others to dive in, and that's a damn good academic in my view!

On the other hand, we've got a huge problem culturally, and academia is SO NOT getting it so far as I can tell.

Institutional Narcissism, imo, across the board.

Last edited:
I found this part of the convo especially fascinating, b/c I think he is right on a fundamental level. And as he states, reporting what is true is not the same as sanctioning it.
great point... totally agree... and yet at the same time there is a bit of normalizing going on that I'm uncomfortable with. I mean, how about let's start with this:
-- anyone who uses a position of power, and especially someone who uses their position as a spiritual authority, to sexually take advantage of someone must be admonished/chastised/rebuked in the strongest and clearest way possible! so, as long as we start from there Jeff I'm willing to explore the nuances of eroctism and religion.

-- anyone who uses a position of power, and especially someone who uses their position as a spiritual authority, to sexually take advantage of someone must be admonished/chastised/rebuked in the strongest and clearest way possible!

I get it! When I heard him say that I had a kind of visceral gut reaction of disgust. Did it come from a micro-tone of his potential approval of this 'fact'?! Or, was he stating something I feel is true, but I don't want to think seriously about if/how/why?

Should we try to unpack it a bit more? I'd love to hear more opinions about it.

There are power positions that are far more clear cut than others, like say a pastor and a child, a teacher and a teen, or a president and an intern. But in some cases should there not be some personal responsibility on the partner/victim? Even in the intern scenario, if s/he's of age and relentlessly pursuing b/c she's obsessed with power say, while certainly the person in power should 'know better' is there not adequate reciprocity in that equation to be deemed simply 'distasteful' rather than 'morally reprehensible'? Is it even possible that the 'pursuer' here might learn a good (necessary?) lesson from the encounter that would not otherwise be learned?

Also, it's interesting to exchange the male/female roles in a scenario and remark how skewed the interpretation becomes. Many folks would say it's fine if it's an attractive older person (especially female) and horny adolescent (especially male)! If the 'partner' doesn't feel like a victim, is s/he indeed still a victim?

And, my most uncomfortable question: Could it be true that those in power should not be expected to be able to curb such desires b/c they go hand-in-hand with power? After all, there is the stereotype of the woman sleeping her way to the top, and might this be a sort of extension of the 'old boys network' only instead of golf they've moved it to the bedroom? Is that not another form of bonding and 'currency'?

So many questions!

"-- anyone who uses a position of power, and especially someone who uses their position as a spiritual authority, to sexually take advantage of someone must be admonished/chastised/rebuked in the strongest and clearest way possible!"

Right on the mark, Alex.
Nowhere in the Gospels of Jesus can I find any mention of the necessity of confessing our sins to anyone but God Himself and from God, asking forgiveness. Maybe this explains the gradual waning in popularity of the sacrament of confession. Has it been what was opening the door and laying out the red carpet for less than honorable clergy to engage in child abuse in the past?
Also Jesus says in: Matthew 23:9 KJV "And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." This might help explain why we were not encouraged to read the Bible. It might have raised questions from young inquisitive minds.
Although I've said all this I must add that I think many very good men become Roman Catholic priests. Their only quest is to bring souls to the reality of God and the teaching of Jesus instructions on how to find oneself in His presence at death. To this end I think the Church may now have been considerably, "cleaned up."

Last edited:
Back