Free Will, Consciousness and Information

I remember reading about this one guy in really dire circumstances in an extermination camp - Auschwitz, I think. They took everything away from him, even his clothes. He was starving and emaciated. He could be put to death at any moment. He had zero control over his physical circumstances. In that moment, he realize there was one thing he did have control over - his inner self and how he chose to think/feel. And, this one thing was everything, because getting in touch with that aspect of his being and realizing its preeminence over the physical, gave him infinite freedom.

Primo Levi This is a Man.
Though he survived Auschwitz he suicided in later life. Auschwitz got him in the end.

I guess that's the same reason a Buddhist monk who's supposed to be worth anything shouldn't yell out when attacked by a tiger, if you've ever heard that one before! :-O

I'll stick to yelling thanks...still on the path to enlightenment as you can tell...

I suspect you're on to something there! Kinda sounds like my participatory evolution idea above, or the Buddhist idea of Interdependent Co-Arising ;-)

Yes, I thought I was waxing Buddhist. I'll have to watch that. When I do remote viewing I nearly always get words not pictures. Whenever the image is Buddhist the descriptors I'm given are not exactly favourable. The Christian images get positive descriptors unless they are churches. I guess I will have to adapt my model to include the "hints" I am given...now where do I put those in "Interdependent Co-Arising?" I must say they are very handy at times...I was interviewing to appoint a new accountant for the business and I was told very clearly - "she's got a drink problem." I watched the candidate very carefully and saw the signs. Just a little detour for the conversation....sorry about that. Still, I like Buddha's idea of a tapestry.

Hmm - I should be more careful what I say here, people will start to wonder.

Last edited:
Primo Levi This is a Man.
Though he survived Auschwitz he suicided in later life. Auschwitz got him in the end.

Interesting, this actually sounds like an additional story to the one I'm referring. I'll have to check that out, hadn't heard of it before. I've unfortunately been unable to find the source of mine again, but it was one of those stories told through a second person if I can remember, where the real identity of the prime character was never identified. I guess those are the kind of stories you one also can't help but wonder how close to the truth they really are! Regardless it is pretty close to what you read in Indian literature.

Interesting, this actually sounds like an additional story to the one I'm referring. I'll have to check that out, hadn't heard of it before. I've unfortunately been unable to find the source of mine again, but it was one of those stories told through a second person if I can remember, where the real identity of the prime character was never identified. I guess those are the kind of stories you one also can't help but wonder how close to the truth they really are! Regardless it is pretty close to what you read in Indian literature.
I remember reading the autobiography of Nelson Mandela Long Walk to Freedom. I realised why he was such a great man. On Robin Island his men may have been in shackles but he unshackled their minds.

Last edited:
Back