Gary Lachman, Demolition of the Rational |518|

Alex

Administrator
Gary Lachman, Demolition of the Rational |518|
by Alex Tsakiris | Sep 14 | Spirituality
Tweet

Gary Lachman is an author with a lot to say about culture, the occult and the dissolution of the rational.
skeptiko-518-gary-lachman-300x300.jpg

What actual evidence do we have that the system is actually breaking down?

I personally would like to believe this, i hear a lot people repeat this mantra. I know there is a lot people interested in the ideas of the extended realm but does this constitute that traditional thought (only physical is real) is giving way.
Do we have anything actual solid that we point to? Can
I say since there are new ideas gaining strength the old ideas ideas most be waining?

I think there is a huge issue with people always attributing malice and diabolical scheming when it's often much messier than that.
People have selfish reasons for doing things, and often their selfishness overlaps, but the idea that the same people that folks think are too incompetent to run a government are somehow able to run the world is laughable.
Does this mean there aren't conspiracies? Yes, but they tend to be much more drunken idiots who can't see tomorrow in front of their face, than long term plans. At least in THIS country.
China? China's a whole other question. Those are folks that think in generations
J

Just an FYI on the ambiguity surrounding the Age of Aquarius - official kickoff was on the winter solstice, December 21 2020 with the conjunction of Jupiter & Saturn in the sign of Aquarius.
There is still mystery surrounding the last time this conjunction occured. I am not an astrologer so did some searching but found only conflicting numbers. I think the mystery is purposeful, by whom I dont know, but they mean well. The whole age & what it represents (one aspect being the element of air) is not about logic. It is not about solid, concrete things. It flows. It is something that is felt and percieved by clairabilities. It is about thought, about dreams, intuition, trust - all the stuff you cant see but are nevertheless just as real. The things that require faith - another unseen.

I think there is a huge issue with people always attributing malice and diabolical scheming when it's often much messier than that.
People have selfish reasons for doing things, and often their selfishness overlaps, but the idea that the same people that folks think are too incompetent to run a government are somehow able to run the world is laughable.
Does this mean there aren't conspiracies? Yes, but they tend to be much more drunken idiots who can't see tomorrow in front of their face, than long term plans. At least in THIS country.
China? China's a whole other question. Those are folks that think in generations
J

First off....damn, I said it once and I said it again, you look just like that guy from Law and Order on TV! Do you have any friends that look just like Ice-T?

I agree with you that people have their selfish reasons for doing things, and that selfishness does overlap. However, to think that competent people are running the government, let alone the world, is more than laughable. I don't really consider myself an "anarchist," but I believe all modern governments are corrupt and controlled by corporations, especially after this entire COVID fiasco.

I wouldn't vouch for China, even if they do think in terms of generations. Maybe thinking in generations is part of the problem. It is easy to fuck with people as long as you are a compassionless politician, addicted to mass opinion and polls, enacting mandates in the name of the good of future generations. Doesn't China have a social point system and face recognition cameras everywhere? I am sure that other country's aren't too far off, as most of us have cell phones and some kind of ridiculous credit system.

As far as people being drunken idiots, I would pose the question: what is worse, somebody with a six pack or a litany of zombies taking 15 different pharmaceuticals?

I think the government is actively attempting to make people feel like victims, then actively trying to absolutely control every element of our lives. Before the pandemic, I would have quasi questioned these thoughts, but now it is beyond obvious.

What actual evidence do we have that the system is actually breaking down?

I personally would like to believe this, i hear a lot people repeat this mantra. I know there is a lot people interested in the ideas of the extended realm but does this constitute that traditional thought (only physical is real) is giving way.
Do we have anything actual solid that we point to? Can
I say since there are new ideas gaining strength the old ideas ideas most be waining?

I don't think that ideas about the extended realm mean that ideas of our "physical realm" are breaking down. Rather, what I see happening is that the driving, materialistic motivations are experiencing atrophy, but not all at the same time. What was once materialism in the sense of independence has capitulated to a kind of lust for fame through social media. The "system" isn't breaking down, it is rather becoming more coercive, as I think it is opportunistic on the aforementioned point.

I enjoyed this interview and Gary's mentioning of the theory of Eternal Recurrence. I was deep in Nietzsche's work in my late teens early 20's. However, I came to the conclusion that the theory of Eternal Recurrence is the most materialistic, biological robot in a meaningless universe, theory of all. First of all, there is no defense against it, as the only explanation from one that believes it is this: whether you agree with it or not, you have disagreed with it eternal times, as yourself, over and over again. Also, it is an insult to effort and willpower. You can disprove it yourself by seeing how it requires choice, and effort, to get to the gym everyday. For me, the theory is great if you want to make people feel like they are worthless, and that it doesn't matter what they try to do.

I don't think that ideas about the extended realm mean that ideas of our "physical realm" are breaking down. Rather, what I see happening is that the driving, materialistic motivations are experiencing atrophy, but not all at the same time. What was once materialism in the sense of independence has capitulated to a kind of lust for fame through social media. The "system" isn't breaking down, it is rather becoming more coercive, as I think it is opportunistic on the aforementioned point.
Maybe .. just yesterday I've been seeing this data, BLOOMBERG, coming up on my feed that people are discontent with their jobs and want to quit. Higher percentage with single and young. I know that Colombia has been filling up with expats for a while from The West, American , Canadian, Europeans, no doubt that trend spans many other countries. I can affirmative i was the lone gringo 15 years ago. So something has changed.
In fact, justing read Warren Buffett's son is now a citizen here. So it is not just about saving money.. cheaper life style...this system here if anything is full of exaggerated greed , corruption and materialism... to top it all off ,life is cheap..yet most do not want to leave...do anything to stay.

To your point of weakening materialistic ideals.
The statement n" fuck-it I just want to live"..I won't attempt a definition here since it's implication is too broad, individual.
Then there is the story about the guy who left Australia for Bangkok dedicated his life to helping few prostitutes and their kids, clearly nothing materialistic about that.

Or these Vans converted to mini mobile houses, abandoning some kind of traditional values, out goes the white picket fence.

Last edited:
Right on, Ted, I totally love your post, and all of it needs quoted. Certainly a degradation in "materialism" is taking place, and you provide great examples. The strange thing about modern materialism is that it seems to be deep rooted in envy. Therefore, I don't see it as a pure form of materialism. In essence, material still does matter, or rather, some would say that material is "matter." However, I believe there was a kind of materialism that was tied to psi, and it has been somewhat sublimated in society. For example, those works that can be done through crystals or stones. Yes, those are "materials" as such, but they have a psychic attachment as well, usually devoid of envy lest it be for a diamond ring or a gold watch. I don't know exactly where I am going with this, but I think that a dissection of what "materialism" actually is might help.

Reactions: Ted
The strange thing about modern materialism is that it seems to be deep rooted in envy

In some ways I wonder if philosophical materialism isn't rooted in a spiritual or existential need for certainty. No need for faith or doubt, no disconcerting mystery, etc.

This might explain why materialism is so prominent in the STEMs (science, technology, engineering, maths). They're populated by people who don't like (and are rightfully trained to dislike) ambiguity.

As for your second point, yes, some spiritual philosophies place too much emphasis on transcending the material. This can lead to a loss of the magic contained in existence. The secret life of rocks, for example. Tribal religions, I think, maintain this link to the manifested very well.

I think that you are right about philosophical materialism being in a need for certainty. However, I think that there are two different kinds of certainty: 1. A kind of comfort in one's place at the time that requires little or no further effort 2. The unquenchable will for mystery that must know, though it never quite claims to know anything, despite innumerable discoveries.

I could hang with a tribe for a bit, but as soon as somebody wants to shove a bone through my nose, it is on!

Reactions: Ted
System (all) just breaking down. No longer relevant or worth maintaining. Probably happens in varying ways with every major turning of the age. All concepts, institutions, establishments. Reestablished with different FLAVA. Not the answer you were hoping for. Oh well.
Pisces is DEAD.

Back