Rob and Trish Macgregor, Mystical Underground |558|

Alex

Administrator
Rob and Trish Macgregor, Mystical Underground |558|
by Alex Tsakiris | Jun 28 | Skepticism
Tweet
Rob and Trish Macgregor have written over a hundred books and created the Mystical Underground podcast.
skeptiko-558-rob-trish-macgregor-1-300x300.jpg

Guest Website: https://themysticalunderground.com
Love the stories. Some good questions. Nothing new for answers.

Q. Is it not possible for biological robots in a meaningless universe to have paranormal experiences and minds of their own?
Q. Is it not possible for biological robots in a meaningless universe to have consciousness?
Q. Is it not possible for consciousness to be epiphenomenal and still be real?

If as Alex suggests, truth is the aim, then we need to accept that the answers to the above questions can all be "Yes" — and evolve the discussion.

Last edited:

Q. Is it not possible for biological robots in a meaningless universe to have paranormal experiences and minds of their own?
Q. Is it not possible for biological robots in a meaningless universe to have consciousness?

If as Alex suggests, truth is the aim, then we need to accept that the answers to the above questions can all be "Yes" — and evolve the discussion.
Q’s:
Yes, all 3 are possible.

Evolve the discussion:
No problem. If Data(android officer aboard the Star Trek Enterprise) came to Captain Picard convinced he’s identified that he has a spirit or non-local higher-self, would Captain Picard suggest Data invest in further inquiry?
If so, How?
And Why?

Or if not, Why not?

Q’s:
Yes, all 3 are possible.

Evolve the discussion:
No problem. If Data(android officer aboard the Star Trek Enterprise) came to Captain Picard convinced he’s identified that he has a spirit or non-local higher-self, would Captain Picard suggest Data invest in further inquiry?
If so, How?
And Why?

Or if not, Why not?
Fortunately, we don't have to imagine what Data might say ...

Data explains complex systems.

You gonna follow up and answer or dodge all the way?
(I had a feeling you would dodge this one)

I'm not "dodging" anything. You asked a specific question involving specific characters and I provided a specific answer using those same characters. Here's another one. This is equally interesting ( to me anyway ). There are other examples sprinkled throughout the Star Trek universe and sci-fi in general.

Data Explains His Faith

Last edited:
I'm not "dodging" anything. You asked a specific question involving specific characters and I provided a specific answer using those same characters. Here's another one. This is equally interesting ( to me anyway ). There are other examples sprinkled throughout the Star Trek universe and sci-fi in general.

Data Explains His Faith

Nice try, but no.
My subject was: Data(android) developing/dealing with belief in himself having a spirit or a non-local higher-self.
You did not engage on that subject whatsoever.
Star Trek TNG did not cover this subject. And that fact in part demonstrates of how my premise is a direct evolvement on the subject of your initial post.
I'm interested to gauge whether you're actually serious about evolving it.
Please make an attempt.

Since I still doubt you'll try, I'll expound on how/why it's a direct evolvement.

As stated, Data never experienced believing he had a higher-self/spirit(HS/S). He invested a great amount of inquiry into human consciousness, and android adaptation of human characteristics, but spirit/higher-self belief was not one of them. He never even entertained it. For this reason, this is the perfect lens through which to examine your BRMU perspective (Biologic Robot / Meaningless Universe).

If Data were to experience a himself having a HS/S, the BRMU assumption would be that he's mistaken. And with that assumption the next question would be whether there's value in Data investing energy in exploring a mistake.
But we know Captain Picard does not subscribe to BRMU. However, Picard would likely still believe Data to be mistaken in perceiving hisself to have a HS/S. Therefore Picard's advice to Data would be monumental.
I bet you would have some great suggestions as to how Picard would advise Data in this situation.. but I don't think you really want to evolve the discussion that far.

wow... seems like we keep going in circles on this. I'll jump in again.
"biological robots in a meaningless universe" is falsified by the double slit experiment... and made even more explicit by dean radin's experiments. "biological robots in a meaningless universe" posits/depends-on mind=brain. the emerging property bullshit is smoke and mirrors... it's still mind=brain.

Max planck and the rest of those guys realized the implications of these experiments 100 years ago when they concluded that consciousness is fundamental.

Again, we have to give radin credit for making this more explicit in his experiments where he has a meditator directly affect the photon beam.

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode.
I hope next time Climate Change or Pizza Gate comes up in debate for me I can channel my inner Alex. Top Class example of insisting on fact-finding being the real mission. Alex patiently allowed these guests to paint crystal clear pictures of their prejudice/bias. And talk about dodging!!!
Alex didn't insist that sea-level was the end-all for climate change corroboration. He just offered it as a baseline for approaching the subject scientifically/seriously, as opposed to emotionally/tribally.
And how funny that the guest Rob asked complete seriously do you "believe in pizza gate?" Isn't that the exact indicator that the person doesn't know what pizza gate is??

That said, Rob and Trish are champs and they stood their ground honorably. I'll be happy if they come on again for round two, and if so I'm sure they'll come more prepared.

Nice try, but no.
I think a flat "No" is a little too dismissive. Starting with the character's own words on consciousness being an emergent phenomenon is a pretty good place to begin.
My subject was: Data(android) developing/dealing with belief in himself having a spirit or a non-local higher-self.
You did not engage on that subject whatsoever. Star Trek TNG did not cover this subject. And that fact in part demonstrates of how my premise is a direct evolvement on the subject of your initial post.
I'm interested to gauge whether you're actually serious about evolving it.
Please make an attempt.
Sure, we can do that.
Since I still doubt you'll try, I'll expound on how/why it's a direct evolvement.
Please do.
As stated, Data never experienced believing he had a higher-self/spirit(HS/S). He invested a great amount of inquiry into human consciousness, and android adaptation of human characteristics, but spirit/higher-self belief was not one of them. He never even entertained it. For this reason, this is the perfect lens through which to examine your BRMU perspective (Biologic Robot / Meaningless Universe).

If Data were to experience a himself having a HS/S, the BRMU assumption would be that he's mistaken. And with that assumption the next question would be whether there's value in Data investing energy in exploring a mistake.
But we know Captain Picard does not subscribe to BRMU. However, Picard would likely still believe Data to be mistaken in perceiving hisself to have a HS/S. Therefore Picard's advice to Data would be monumental.
I bet you would have some great suggestions as to how Picard would advise Data in this situation.. but I don't think you really want to evolve the discussion that far.

I'm not so sure we can be quite so sure Data didn't "entertain" the sorts of ideas you suggest ( I actually found him quite entertaining ). But seriously, if we consider the Phantasms episode where data is exploring his dream programming, we clearly see from Data's perspective what he is experiencing in his dream world, and if as has been suggested here, that dreams may represent some sort of awareness of a "higher consciousness", then this episode fits the theme of this discussion.

Although more removed from what I think you might be getting at, is the idea of experiencing a collective consciousness via the Borg. Picard makes it pretty clear what he thinks of religion in this clip ...

My point here is that in order to evolve the discussion, first we have to demystify it and recognize where loaded words and phrasing is being used to advance a particular paradigm. Words like "spirit" and "soul" and phrases like "higher consciousness" and "extended consciousness" are all examples of such loaded words and phrases.

Last edited:
My point here is that in order to evolve the discussion, first we have to demystify it and recognize where loaded words and phrasing is being used to advance a particular paradigm. Words like "spirit" and "soul" and phrases like "higher consciousness" and "extended consciousness" are all examples of such loaded words and phrases.
You will never have a better opportunity to demystify the concepts of Spirit and Higher-Self than to engage on them under the context of an android processing them. You still didn't go there, and that's ok. But I don't think you honestly want to evolve the discussion.
Data would have no problem recognizing the concepts of Spirit/Higher-self as separate concepts from consciousness at large. He might not believe in them. But he'd have no problem exploring them. But he never did, and the offer is still in front of you.

wow... seems like we keep going in circles on this. I'll jump in again.
"biological robots in a meaningless universe" is falsified by the double slit experiment... and made even more explicit by dean radin's experiments. "biological robots in a meaningless universe" posits/depends-on mind=brain. the emerging property bullshit is smoke and mirrors... it's still mind=brain.

Max planck and the rest of those guys realized the implications of these experiments 100 years ago when they concluded that consciousness is fundamental.

Again, we have to give radin credit for making this more explicit in his experiments where he has a meditator directly affect the photon beam.
Alex, none of that answers my questions, and the double slit experiment doesn't do what purveyors of quantum woo in general claim. This is obvious to anyone who actually understands how the original double slit experiment is done. The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser Experiment is the one that has the most relevance ( see below ).

For the more advanced experiments, statistical significance doesn't prove causation ( to me anyway ). But to take it even further, even if the universe is wired in a way that allows consciousness to have some effect, it still doesn't add any significance to the "biological robots in a meaningless universe" statement.

The best that the "biological robots in a meaningless universe" statement can claim is to be a description for a particular nihilistic attitude that some people may have about what their own experience in the world adds-up to. But strictly speaking, the phrase "biological robot" doesn't have to be seen as a pejorative. Nor does the phrase "meaningless universe". It may be the case that from a particular perspective, the workings of the universe don't have any meaning in and of themselves, but are assigned meaning by entities within that construct that are capable of doing so, including biological robots.

Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser Experiment
The Hypothesis That Consciousness Is A Causal Factor Is Premature

It has been hypothesized that the results of The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment are a result of the experimenter's knowledge about how the experiment works. If that is the case, then the results should be different when the experiment is run by somebody who doesn't understand it, let's say someone who is completely unfamiliar with these sorts of experiments or QM in general.

On this question, I would wager a cup of coffee that the results will be the same whether or not the person who runs the experiment has "knowledge" about what is going on, in which case the hypothesis that the experimenter's knowledge about the experiment changes the results, cannot be correct. I'm not entirely sure how one would setup the experiment to test this, because I don't know if the experimenter actually views the patterns as described in the video below in order to determine the results.

However, if the experimenter must actually view the patterns as described in the video in order to get the results, then hypothetically, some other really interesting experiments could be done. For example, if the hypothesis is true that the knowledge the experimenter has about the experiment causes a specific type of pattern, then a pattern from the same experiment run by someone who has no idea what is going on, should suddenly change when viewed by someone who does understand the experiment. Does that happen?

This also brings up some interesting questions about what we mean by "knowledge" vs "consciousness" vs "intelligence". If it were the case that the system is in fact reacting to consciousness ( as is claimed by some ), then the system is a consciousness detector. This has some major philosophical ramifications, e.g. we could now tell if an AI, that in all other respects appears and behaves human, has consciousness, or is simply a clockwork orange.

A Review of The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser Experiment

Last edited:
doesn't prove causation ( to me anyway )

...and that's where I choose to bow out. it proved it to max planck... it proved it to niels bohr... it proved it to schrodinger... it proved it (more or less) to albert einstein... and then radin replicated it in a way that proved it more directly... i.e. meditator directly affects the photon beam.

So I'll just have to accept that it doesn't prove it to you and move on.

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode.
I hope next time Climate Change or Pizza Gate comes up in debate for me I can channel my inner Alex. Top Class example of insisting on fact-finding being the real mission. Alex patiently allowed these guests to paint crystal clear pictures of their prejudice/bias. And talk about dodging!!!
Alex didn't insist that sea-level was the end-all for climate change corroboration. He just offered it as a baseline for approaching the subject scientifically/seriously, as opposed to emotionally/tribally.
And how funny that the guest Rob asked complete seriously do you "believe in pizza gate?" Isn't that the exact indicator that the person doesn't know what pizza gate is??

That said, Rob and Trish are champs and they stood their ground honorably. I'll be happy if they come on again for round two, and if so I'm sure they'll come more prepared.

Thanks, but I think you're being too generous to rob and trish. they wouldn't last a day on the forum :)

You will never have a better opportunity to demystify the concepts of Spirit and Higher-Self than to engage on them under the context of an android processing them. You still didn't go there, and that's ok. But I don't think you honestly want to evolve the discussion.
Maybe it would be better not to make assumptions about whether or not I want to evolve the discussion, and just carry-on with the discussion in an attempt to do so, and see if it gets anywhere.
Data would have no problem recognizing the concepts of Spirit/Higher-self as separate concepts from consciousness at large. He might not believe in them. But he'd have no problem exploring them. But he never did, and the offer is still in front of you.
Okay, so if Data never explored the concepts you describe in any way shape or form, then how would your script for him go? What would you mean by the word "spirit" and the phrase "higher self". From what I can tell, unless you equate the word "spirit" with ghosts, then it's indistinguishable from the concept of personality. So are you talking about ghosts or personality ( or what exactly )? And why should such a belief be associated with a hierarchy like "higher" or lower? It seems to me that such a distinction is an arbitrary division based on fuzzy premises?

So before I could attempt to answer your original question, we'd need to square all that away.

Okay, so if Data never explored the concepts you describe in any way shape or form, then how would your script for him go? What would you mean by the word "spirit" and the phrase "higher self".
Use the template of the movie The Matrix. Presume Data becomes convinced he's living in a matrix and his real self is non-local.
(Important note: Data being convinced he's in a matrix doesn't mean it's actually the case.)

So before I could attempt to answer your original question, we'd need to square all that away.
Done.

...and that's where I choose to bow out. it proved it to max planck... it proved it to niels bohr... it proved it to schrodinger... it proved it (more or less) to albert einstein... and then radin replicated it in a way that proved it more directly... i.e. meditator directly affects the photon beam.

So I'll just have to accept that it doesn't prove it to you and move on.
Sorry Alex, like other purveyors of quantum woo, you're conflating measurement with observation ( humans literally observing the process ). This is a common mistake. But to realize that, you'd actually need to research how the experiments were physically done. Then you'd understand that the experiments were done in a way that made it impossible for anyone to actually "see" what's going on, because the measurement that causes the collapse of the wave function was done by a detector inside a sealed system ( not somebody watching photons with their eyes ).

So simply bowing out and making claims about what other scientists allegedly thought or said is lazy, and it doesn't add any weight to your claim. It would be wiser of you to update your thinking. Or maybe that "truth" you were referring to isn't that important to you after all? Don't pretend to be a truth seeker unless you're prepared to look at it when it's presented, and either accept it, or defend it with substantial reasoning that nullifies the counterpoint you're objecting to. Bowing out is copping out.

Last edited:
Use the template of the movie The Matrix. Presume Data becomes convinced he's living in a matrix and his real self is non-local.
(Important note: Data being convinced he's in a matrix doesn't mean it's actually the case.)

Done.

Okay — we've covered this ground before. It boils down to Brains in a Vat or Descartes's Evil Demon. There's no way to prove such is not the case. We can only ask things like if it seems to make any sense for it to be the case, and what the significance of it being the case could be.

In the end we arrive at the only thing we can be sure of is The Cogito — that we can be sure we exist when we are in a state of self-reflection, and from there we can extrapolate that if our bodies are just avatars or a "residual self image" ( a la Matrix ) that there is some mechanism "elsewhere" that is responsible for all the functions that our avatars appear to perform "here" that gives us individual personhood and identity.

Last edited:
Okay — we've covered this ground before. It boils down to the Brain in a Vat or Descartes's Evil Demon. There's no way to prove such is not the case. We can only ask things like if it seems to make any sense for it to be the case, and what the significance of it being the case could be.

In the end we arrive at the only thing we can be sure of is The Cogito — that we can be sure we exist when we are in a state of self-reflection, and from there we can extrapolate that if our bodies are just avatars or a "residual self image" ( a la Matrix ) that there is some mechanism "elsewhere" that is responsible for all the functions that our avatars appear to perform "here" that gives us personhood and identity.
Not quite.
Yes we've covered this in regard to a human's experience of it. This is fully separate and distinct from the premise I presented.
If Data(android officer aboard the Star Trek Enterprise) came to Captain Picard convinced he’s identified that he has a spirit or non-local higher-self, would Captain Picard suggest Data invest in further inquiry?
If so, How?
And Why?

Or if not, Why not?

Not quite.
Yes we've covered this in regard to a human's experience of it. This is fully separate and distinct from the premise I presented.
Now we're just going in circles. You pose the Data question, I ask what the terms mean, you say a la Matrix, I identify where that leads, and you return to the Data question.

Back