Sam Tripoli, Zero Spirituality Podcast |578|

Alex

Administrator
Sam Tripoli, Zero Spirituality Podcast |578|
by Alex Tsakiris | Jan 17 | Spirituality
Tweet
the voice in our head… Rogan and Sam on comedy… big tent.
578-samtripoil-2-300x300.jpg

In an age of oppressive societal structures, comedians come to the rescue as demolition experts. And then in Sam and Joe Rogan we not only have the demolition, but reconstruction of new and better ways of thinking and being.

Hats off to Sam for turning his life around and staying sober. Trying to be the best possible version of yourself so that you can do your best for your kids really is the highest calling.

The only thing I heard Alex say that I might take issue with is that your kids are going to be what they're going to be. Now I get the need to not be overbearing and allow a certain amount of freedom to explore and express themselves, and I get that who they become is some combination of nature and nurture and there will be aspects of their personality that are hardwired, but I think most people have taken this way too far and have taken away all imposition of structure or character on young minds. We don't have the same attitude about ourselves, "well I'm going to be what I'm going to be... if I want to do this or that, then that's just who I am even if it is harmful. I don't need to discipline myself. I just need to express and be led by my emotions." No successful person thinks this way. And I think our job as parents is to first learn how to transmute ourselves... be self-aware, face the shadow, then turn the lead into gold, turn the adversity and challenges of life into growth and responsibility and meaning. And then we help our kids do the same.

Loved the part about the voice in your head... we are more fractured than we realize - a hierarchy of subpersonalities and at one end is the angel and the other is straight up devil. Sorry for posting this a 4th time but this is the most perfect depiction I have seen of this wrestling with the voices in your head in music (and a fantastic message):

Edit: Ren's next release just came out... as someone who struggled for many years with Lyme disease I can relate:

Last edited:
In an age of oppressive societal structures, comedians come to the rescue as demolition experts. And then in Sam and Joe Rogan we not only have the demolition, but reconstruction of new and better ways of thinking and being.

Hats off to Sam for turning his life around and staying sober. Trying to be the best possible version of yourself so that you can do your best for your kids really is the highest calling.

The only thing I heard Alex say that I might take issue with is that your kids are going to be what they're going to be. Now I get the need to not be overbearing and allow a certain amount of freedom to explore and express themselves, and I get that who they become is some combination of nature and nurture and there will be aspects of their personality that are hardwired, but I think most people have taken this way too far and have taken away all imposition of structure or character on young minds. We don't have the same attitude about ourselves, "well I'm going to be what I'm going to be... if I want to do this or that, then that's just who I am even if it is harmful. I don't need to discipline myself. I just need to express and be led by my emotions." No successful person thinks this way. And I think our job as parents is to first learn how to transmute ourselves... be self-aware, face the shadow, then turn the lead into gold, turn the adversity and challenges of life into growth and responsibility and meaning. And then we help our kids do the same.

Loved the part about the voice in your head... we are more fractured than we realize - a hierarchy of subpersonalities and at one end is the angel and the other is straight up devil. Sorry for posting this a 4th time but this is the most perfect depiction I have seen of this wrestling with the voices in your head in music (and a fantastic message):
Maybe that's because your kids are younger [[cb]]

I thought the exact same thing as I remember thinking the exact same thing.

In fairness, at least in my experience, Hurm's not wrong but it does become increasingly apparent as your kids age that they are, indeed, unique individuals with free will (however you choose to define the latter).

Yes probably! I understand you have to continually remove the scaffolding and give them more freedom as they grow up.

But as an example... Our 3.5 year old son is brilliant and amazing and usually very sweet but those darker impulses come through at times and leave me wondering what he could turn into if his parents didn't give a crap about him or didn't do their best to guide him and help him deal with those darker impulses....

We were getting ready to walk over to the neighborhood playground the other day:

"Dad, can I race the other kids on my bike?"
"yes."
"I'm going to win. I'm going to beat them in the race."
"You're getting pretty fast on you're bike; we'll see."
I grabbed my keys and pocket knife and wallet and he says,
"If I don't win, I can get a knife and cut them."
"wait... what??"

The interaction between Alex and Sam is refreshing. It genuinely feels like two long time friends catching up with one another. This makes me wonder if “principles” and “ideas” act more like the walls of a jail cell between people, rather than anything that necessarily liberates anybody. Perhaps any idea not involving physical cooperation to achieve, especially devoid of mutual respect, will not only become our prison, but solitary confinement even when surrounded by others.

Yes probably! I understand you have to continually remove the scaffolding and give them more freedom as they grow up.

But as an example... Our 3.5 year old son is brilliant and amazing and usually very sweet but those darker impulses come through at times and leave me wondering what he could turn into if his parents didn't give a crap about him or didn't do their best to guide him and help him deal with those darker impulses....

We were getting ready to walk over to the neighborhood playground the other day:

"Dad, can I race the other kids on my bike?"
"yes."
"I'm going to win. I'm going to beat them in the race."
"You're getting pretty fast on you're bike; we'll see."
I grabbed my keys and pocket knife and wallet and he says,
"If I don't win, I can get a knife and cut them."
"wait... what??"

You got to make sure you write that one down! one thing I'm really glad I did was start a diary of stories like this for my kids. I go back and read it every now and then... absolute Treasure Trove [[p]]

I listened to this episode twice already, and I will a third time I'm sure. And it's probably been 3-4 months since in listened to an entire episode of TFH. I hope Sam finds a way to work with Alex more. Alex is on another level, by which I mean interested in the truth wherever it leads. And the tricky thing is that Sam (and Rogan), used to be on that level, but I think they ran into some real turbulence leading up to 2019/2020.
To recap on my prediction for 2023, I think there's real chance that Skeptiko and any other shows who never sold out will be elevated as the absolute megalithic foundations they are.

I listened to this episode twice already, and I will a third time I'm sure. And it's probably been 3-4 months since in listened to an entire episode of TFH. I hope Sam finds a way to work with Alex more. Alex is on another level, by which I mean interested in the truth wherever it leads. And the tricky thing is that Sam (and Rogan), used to be on that level, but I think they ran into some real turbulence leading up to 2019/2020.
To recap on my prediction for 2023, I think there's real chance that Skeptiko and any other shows who never sold out will be elevated as the absolute megalithic foundations they are.
wow... that's super nice of you to say, but I don't see it. I feel honored to be back doing this work, but I don't think there's going to be a large audience for it. on the other hand, one of the great things about taking a step back was hearing from people that I've really connected with. it's a really cool feeling to think that we can share deep ideas like this through the internet and find people we connect with [[p]]

Less is more[[cb]]

Honestly a little disappointed in this episode. I haven't been listening to Skeptiko long, but I enjoy how most conversations go even if the guest is being downright bullheaded. But if you were digging for a deep conversation, I think you were starting at sea level with this one. Sam said some nice things about his father and family, and he seems like a dude with his heart genuinely in the right place, but everything he said I've heard 5 times before and rarely even listen to his podcasts. If you want a deeper dive into the voices in our head we think is "us", about why some people seem to have an ease to life while some really have to "work the program", why some people seem to suffer and others just recover, I'd highly suggest an interview with Eric Zimmer of The One You Feed podcast and/or Noah Levine.

Anyway, hope that wasn't too harsh on Sam... Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying catching up on old episodes, love the ones on NDEs.

wow... that's super nice of you to say, but I don't see it. I feel honored to be back doing this work, but I don't think there's going to be a large audience for it. on the other hand, one of the great things about taking a step back was hearing from people that I've really connected with. it's a really cool feeling to think that we can share deep ideas like this through the internet and find people we connect with [[p]]

Less is more[[cb]]
Rob is right! I like Tinfoil Hat for entertainment, but no show puts me on the edge of my seat like Skeptiko! The reboot is already killing it!

Honestly a little disappointed in this episode. I haven't been listening to Skeptiko long, but I enjoy how most conversations go even if the guest is being downright bullheaded. But if you were digging for a deep conversation, I think you were starting at sea level with this one. Sam said some nice things about his father and family, and he seems like a dude with his heart genuinely in the right place, but everything he said I've heard 5 times before and rarely even listen to his podcasts. If you want a deeper dive into the voices in our head we think is "us", about why some people seem to have an ease to life while some really have to "work the program", why some people seem to suffer and others just recover, I'd highly suggest an interview with Eric Zimmer of The One You Feed podcast and/or Noah Levine.

Anyway, hope that wasn't too harsh on Sam... Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying catching up on old episodes, love the ones on NDEs.
I think Sam flunked the 1st grade. He has said this once or twice! Nevertheless, I can still listen to Sam. Rogan, on the other hand….can’t do it anymore.

Edit: Ren's next release just came out... as someone who struggled for many years with Lyme disease I can relate:
Brother
These videos you share are spiritual
Wrecking balls
Enthralled rather on a nominal level
Made residual beckoning calls
Phenomenal
Leather wrapped palisades
Gifts on holidays

I liked this show as a nod that we all have areas that we shine in. Sam has made big progress in some areas and is also a comedic genius. Alex, it’s great to see you just entertain a conversation that was a bit playful if even a little less rigorous than typical.

I’m really happy to see you keep doing your “show”. Yeah, I know it’s your journey. But it’s a damn good show too. As is life.

Two shows I always look forward to catching up on. Jordan Peterson. And Skeptoko. Different. But both well worth the time and keep me thinking and asking my own questions.

Back