She Brings Wicca to Psychotherapy With Tangible Results |329|

Yes, but if her story is to be believed, this woman was not getting any help from conventional therapies. I am really reluctant to dismiss someone who can help someone that others could not.
The problem is that it is easy to 'explain' phenomena this way, but my feeling is that we know pitifully little about consciousness, and all possibilities should be on the table.
My point was not that the spirit attachment thing was not possible or even probable - but that, despite Alex's protests indicating that her dogma was no different from the Jesus thing or any other religious meme - she seemed unable to even consider other explanations or interpretations.

My point was not that the spirit attachment thing was not possible or even probable - but that, despite Alex's protests indicating that her dogma was no different from the Jesus thing or any other religious meme - she seemed unable to even consider other explanations or interpretations.
I know what you mean, but I think some people may not be good at pursuing a rational argument, and yet may have something to tell us about a practice that seems to work well. She was telling us what worked for her, and not discussing a broader context.

David

On the "paradigm is not about to shift anytime soon" theme, this is what happens when an actually licensed psychologist does something like suggest to a patient they go see a medium:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-psychologist-suspended-medium-1.3821754

Not saying the board's decision in this particular case was wrong, just that it highlights what Alex often says, that what we discuss on this forum (there is actually science about this kind of stuff???) is an incredibly tiny, little, near-invisible minority on the Western social-cultural radar. I heard this psychologists board's president defending the decision on the radio. The interviewer was incredulous as to why such obvious buffoonery (it obviously isn't science and is moronic to believe in psi, mediums, etc.) didn't merit a more severe sentence, the president said the order was there to rule on the practice of the clinical psychologist, nor his or her beliefs (rightly), but when pushed that "surely believing that people have supernatural powers is nonsense", she said yes.

I am actually on board with some of the stuff she mentions, but she seems a bit closed minded... maybe not an authority. Don't forget that being Wiccan means you've purchased some easy-to-finish spiritual cook books from publishers like Lewellyn and then declared yourself a Wiccan. Not knocking it, but her worldview seems a bit narrow.

I am actually on board with some of the stuff she mentions, but she seems a bit closed minded... maybe not an authority. Don't forget that being Wiccan means you've purchased some easy-to-finish spiritual cook books from publishers like Lewellyn and then declared yourself a Wiccan. Not knocking it, but her worldview seems a bit narrow.
Probably a cheap shot on Llewellyn who do publish some quality titles.

Back