The Donald Trump Thread

"So just about every Western intelligence service was collaborating with the Obama administration in trying to elect Hillary Clinton. Yet, amazingly enough, they failed."

"the combined assets of all of these agencies failed to find any evidence of collaboration between the Trump campaign and Russia."

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/04/how-many-countries-conspired-against-trump.php

So just about every Western intelligence service was collaborating with the Obama administration in trying to elect Hillary Clinton. Yet, amazingly enough, they failed.

The blindingly obvious point that the Guardian tries to obscure is that the combined assets of all of these agencies failed to find any evidence of collaboration between the Trump campaign and Russia. We know this, because the Democrats have pulled out all the stops. Both before the election, and especially after the election, they have leaked furiously to try to discredit President Trump. If there were any evidence of collusion between Trump (or even obscure, minor “advisers” like Carter Page) and Russia, there would have been nothing else in the Washington Post or the New York Times for the past five months. But they have nothing.

What was really going on seems clear. Everyone involved in this story thought that Hillary Clinton was sure to win the election. Why? Because they read the Washington Post and the New York Times. Plus Real Clear Politics and 538. The suggestion that the Russian government tried to swing the election to Donald Trump is ridiculous. The Russians thought that Hillary was the certain winner...

Trump drops 21.6 11 kilotons of freedom on the peasant villagers of Afghanistan. 'Murica.

Edit... forgot to divide by 2. And I call myself an engineer...

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...st-powerful-non-nuclear-bomb-afghanistan.html

At a White House briefing earlier in the day, spokesman Sean Spicer confirmed the GBU-43 was dropped on a cave and tunnel complex used by the ISIS offshoot.
Jason Dempsey, a senior fellow at the Center for a New American Security and former Army infantry officer who deployed twice to Afghanistan and has written extensively about the country, said it's unlikely the strike caused many civilian casualties because Nangarhar is very remote and mountainous.

"I'm sure this is ISIS making a pretty big mistake of setting up something remotely and massing," he said in a telephone interview with Military.com.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...st-powerful-non-nuclear-bomb-afghanistan.html

At a White House briefing earlier in the day, spokesman Sean Spicer confirmed the GBU-43 was dropped on a cave and tunnel complex used by the ISIS offshoot.
Jason Dempsey, a senior fellow at the Center for a New American Security and former Army infantry officer who deployed twice to Afghanistan and has written extensively about the country, said it's unlikely the strike caused many civilian casualties because Nangarhar is very remote and mountainous.

"I'm sure this is ISIS making a pretty big mistake of setting up something remotely and massing," he said in a telephone interview with Military.com.

Hopefully that's all true, but we'll never know.

What is the evidence to contradict it? Does anyone claim the bomb was dropped elsewhere? Does anyone claim the region is populated?

I was speaking partly tongue in cheek talking about dropping it on the "peasant villagers" because that is how the old British elites might unapologetically think of it and in the end they do tend to get bombed.

"I demand we burn the peasant village!" - Jim Gaffigan

Trump drops 21.6 11 kilotons of freedom on the peasant villagers of Afghanistan. 'Murica.

Edit... forgot to divide by 2. And I call myself an engineer...
The bomb wheigs 11 ton, according to Wikipedia it is equivalent to 10 tons of TNT, not kiloton.

So your still off by a factor of 1000, this is a firecracker compared to a Hiroshima sized bomb.

The bomb wheigs 11 ton, according to Wikipedia it is equivalent to 10 tons of TNT, not kiloton.

So your still off by a factor of 1000, this is a firecracker compared to a Hiroshima sized bomb.

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. I deleted my bit of fake news. I'm glad FarFromHere didn't see my gaffe. He would tear me a new one.

Last edited:

I wrote previously that some people voted for Trump because they felt the previous administration was abusing the power of their position for political purposes and that four more years under Clinton would let the same gang strengthen their strangle hold on power and make it that much harder to reverse the corruption. I think the Trump eavesdropping scandal is more evidence that those Trump voters were right to be concerned and that a Clinton win would have been a terrible thing for this country.​

Here is a tactic they use to make corruption hard to undo....

https://www.hermancain.com/obama-holdovers-defy-trump-refuse-to-stop

... back in 2015 about a horrible new Obama regulatory order, which would have made it extremely difficult for certain people to keep their financial advisors once their portfolios reached a certan level of value. It's complicated, but the long and short of it is that the rule would impose a massive tax hit on high-value portfolio holders if the commissions they pay to their advisors exceed a certain amount.

The rule never made any sense, as it got in between professional relationships between investors and their advisors that both parties were perfectly happy with. If a growing portfolio earns an advisor more commissions, and the investor is fine with that, why does the federal government need to interfere in that relationship? It doesn't. But plaintiffs' attorneys love the idea of the rule because it has the potential to spur new lawsuits, and we all know how beholden Democrats are to the plaintiffs' bar and its many generous campaign contributions.

So when President Trump took office, he asked the Labor Department to review the rule for possible adverse affects and consider either revising it or getting rid of it altogether. Now, you'll recall that Trump's original choice for Labor Secretary, Andy Puzder, withdrew. His new choice, Alex Acosta, has not yet been confirmed. So who is running the Labor Department at the moment? Obama holdovers, that's who. And when they received Trump's request, they didn't much care for it:

So what was the Labor response? Last week the holdovers from the Obama Administration announced that “the Department has concluded it would be inappropriate to broadly delay application of the fiduciary definition and Impartial Conduct Standards.”

Translation: We don’t care what an elected President says.

The Perez loyalists know that Mr. Trump’s second nominee, Alex Acosta, hasn’t been confirmed and will take time to settle in once he is. The review of the fiduciary rule won’t be completed for months, and the rule is being challenged in court. By refusing to delay implementation of the rule in its entirety, the bureaucracy hopes to entrench its main features so it will be too late or too costly or too difficult to do anything about it, even if a review ultimately concludes it was a mistake.

bernie-design_530x@2x.png

Gotta admit it's a great slogan. :-)

Well, the way he did it, very few (conceivably no) people died, but a lot of physical damage was done. If that trapped his enemies, a vastly greater good would be served.

I'm still not understanding. In what way did the bombing - whether there were few or many fatalities - "trap his enemies"? And even if somehow it did trap them, how/why does it not trap him too?

I'm still not understanding. In what way did the bombing - whether there were few or many fatalities - "trap his enemies"? And even if somehow it did trap them, how/why does it not trap him too?

Trump's enemies in the US have been trying to fabricate the impression that Trump is a tool of the Russians. The missile attack on Syria shows that Trump is not a tool of the Russians because Russia is a close ally of Syria. This traps his enemies because they are shown by their own words to be peddling a lie.

Trump's enemies in the US have been trying to fabricate the impression that Trump is a tool of the Russians. The missile attack on Syria shows that Trump is not a tool of the Russians because Russia is a close ally of Syria. This traps his enemies because they are shown by their own words to be peddling a lie.

In isolation, that makes sense, but is that what David meant? He wrote not about whether DT is a "tool of the Russians" but instead of "evidence that this attack didn't happen as claimed - even evidence that some US officials knew the truth [of the chemical weapons attack]".

Look, I am not taking this scenario too seriously, however:

Trump's enemies in the US administration have, I suspect hidden the fact that somehow the sarin was released by the rebels in Syria against their own side. I believe this because there is a ton of evidence that the rebels in Syria are essentially ISIS under a different name. Wouldn't ISIS pull this stunt if it would pull the US back into Syria on their side (under a different name)? Of course they would.

Another hint that this may be so, is that if the Assad regime decided to cross this red line, wouldn't it do so to achieve some big objective? As it is, only a small amount of chemicals were released, and the reaction against Assad (ISIS' enemy) has been huge - go figure, as they say!

I think perhaps Trump recognises all this, and that US officials may have given the rebels tome help in the past to rfelease small quantities of chemical weapons (there are some tantalising references about this from others in this thread).

I agree with Hurmanetar that there are some really evil people in the US system, who are happy to do those things. It is just possible (but maybe not likely) that Trump is trying to expose these guys.

David

David, I hope that you will forgive me for stripping out all but the (to me) essentials from your post. I will drop this as an unavoidable failure to communicate if you choose to respond and I once again fail to comprehend, but, in any case, here's where I'm at:

Trump's enemies in the US administration have, I suspect hidden the fact that somehow the sarin was released by the rebels in Syria against their own side.

[...]

I think perhaps Trump recognises [...] this

If DT recognises the false flag (the rebels bombing themselves), then why on Earth would he bomb those whom the false flag was designed to falsely implicate (the forces of Assad)? Doesn't the bombing indicate that, in fact, DT does not recognise the false flag?

If DT recognises the false flag (the rebels bombing themselves), then why on Earth would he bomb those whom the false flag was designed to falsely implicate (the forces of Assad)? Doesn't the bombing indicate that, in fact, DT does not recognise the false flag?

The Russians say the Syrians bombed a rebel chemical weapons facility without knowing what it was.

If anyone doubts the US explanation that it was Syria dropping chemical bombs, why would they doubt the Russian version and believe it was a false flag operation?

The main argument that it wasn't Syrian chemical bombs, is that Assad has no motive for using them. By the same logic, what is Russia's motive to lie?

Another perspective, from an analyst I consider ruthlessly frank and have followed for some time: David Kilcullen:

David Kilcullen is a former lieutenant-colonel in the Australian Army and was a senior adviser to US general David Petraeus in 2007-08, when he helped to design the Iraq war coalition troop surge. He also was a special adviser for counterinsurgency to former US secretary of state Condoleezza Rice. He is the author of Blood Year: Islamic State and the Failures of the War on Terror (Black Inc).

I have edited this extract from the paywalled original (published April 15):

"The key to understanding the strike, though, lies in a question that’s been somewhat overlooked: why did Bashar al-Assad’s regime need to use the nerve agent in the first place?

The Western narrative on Assad — reinforced just this week by presidential spokesman Sean Spicer — has been that his regime is uniquely evil, uses chemical weapons simply because it can, hates its own people and just wants to burn the country to the ground.

But, in fact, Syrian use of chemical weapons in the war so far has been highly calculated and strategic. Assad’s regime, far from being blind to international condemnation, understands the severe political consequences of using chemical weapons, and only does so when its back is against the wall. Assad’s regime has shown no compunction in using nerve agents when its survival is at stake, but otherwise it mostly keeps chemical weapons as a hip-pocket emergency reserve that can be rapidly deployed when manpower is short.

Against this background, last week’s strike seems almost laughably symbolic: 60-odd Tomahawk cruise missiles, launched from two US navy ships in the Mediterranean, with allied aircraft kept away from Syrian air defences, and the Russians (and thus, presumably, their Syrian proteges) given plenty of warning to get out of the way. The missiles destroyed some obsolete aircraft, killed a few regime troops, and left the airfield at Shayrat so lightly damaged that the regime was using it again within hours, even launching a further strike from Shayrat (with conventional munitions) against Khan Sheikhoun the very next day.

Kosovo 1999 it was not. But again, the key question is why Assad’s forces felt the need to use the nerve agent in the first place.

Khan Sheikhoun is a town of 50,000 on the southern edge of Idlib, a province in northwestern Syria that abuts Turkey to the north, Aleppo to the east, and Hama and Latakia provinces to the south and west. As of mid-April, apart from tiny regime enclaves at Fua and Kefraya, Idlib is almost totally controlled by a jihadist coalition led by al-Qa’ida’s Syrian affiliate Jabhat Fatah al-Sham, still widely known by its former name, the Nusra Front.

Nusra detests Islamic State (a feeling Abubakr al-Baghdadi’s organisation heartily reciprocates). But in many ways it poses a much more severe threat to the regime than Baghdadi’s group. The Nusra-led offensive in Idlib and Hama has been under-reported, but for Syrians it’s the most important event of 2017 so far.

Even as the regime recaptured Aleppo in December 2016 — with heavy support from Russian airstrikes, Russian special forces, Iranian advisers and Hezbollah militia — Nusra and other groups formed an alliance, Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, to recapture ground from Assad’s forces.

After weeks of preparation they launched a major offensive on March 21 with more than 5000 well-armed and well-organised fighters from seven rebel groups operating under Nusra leader Abu Mohammed al-Jolani. Tahrir al-Sham gathered the most capable rebel groups in Syria into a single coalition under al-Qa’ida’s leadership, pointed them directly at the regime’s weakest point and achieved immediate success.

Within days, rebel fighters pushed to within 5km of the Hama suburbs, threatening the regime’s control of a critical city that anchors its northern flank and provides access to Aleppo. They also made significant gains into the al-Ghab plain, Syria’s breadbasket, an area essential to the regime’s ability to feed Syria’s pro-government population.

Nusra’s rapid advance jeopardised Assad’s control of the economically and politically important Hama and Latakia provinces, and posed a risk to Russia’s naval and air bases to the south.

Khan Sheikhoun now sits at the base of a rebel salient that stretches from Idlib south into the outskirts of Hama city, and west into al-Ghab. As I write, this salient is being counter-attacked all along its perimeter by regime forces desperate to stem the Nusra advance, but lacking the manpower or ground-based firepower to roll back the rebels. Knocking out Khan Sheikhoun from the air would immediately collapse the rebel salient, letting the regime stabilise the front line. Unsurprisingly, doing exactly that has become a major priority for Assad.

The town’s importance was underlined by the fact that the pilot who allegedly carried out the sarin attack was Major General Mohammed Hazzouri, a Syrian air force officer commanding the 50th Air Brigade at Shayrat, and whose family name suggests he’s related to Mohammed Abdullah al-Hazzouri, governor of Hama, who was appointed by Assad in November 2016. Obviously, when you launch a gas attack using a fighter jet flown by a two-star general from the same prominent family as the provincial governor, you’re telegraphing that this is a pretty serious priority.

In fact, the town has been heavily attacked by regime forces (including earlier attacks with chemical weapons late last year and again last month) and subjected to multiple air strikes and artillery bombardments as the regime tries to contain the threat to its northern flank. Assad’s reliance on artillery and aircraft underlines his lack of ground assets: despite Russian, Iranian and Hezbollah support, his forces have their hands full consolidating control over Aleppo, trying to relieve the isolated city of Deir Ezzor in eastern Syria, and fighting on the southern front against other rebel groups.

All this indicates that the regime is again under serious pressure, that its position is far shakier than its propaganda narrative after the recapture of Aleppo might suggest, and that firm pressure now might bring renewed progress toward peace talks. But the situation today is vastly more complicated than in 2013. There are real risks to allied aircraft over Syria from Russian and Syrian air defences, and to special forces and conventional troops (there are now, according to media reporting, as many as 1500 rangers, marines and special forces on the ground in Syria) in the event of strikes against the regime.

The rebels opposing Assad today are not the largely secular forces of 2013 but rather are dominated by al-Qa’ida, while Russia has indicated it plans to further improve Syria’s air defences and has vetoed efforts in the UN for further talks on a Syrian peace deal.

To think that, under these circumstances, mere words — Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s frosty visit to Moscow, Trump’s call for Vladimir Putin to stop covering for Assad, or ambassador Nikki Haley’s fiery confrontation with Russian diplomats at the UN — will force Putin to back away from a critical strategic relationship going back to the 1960s, or force Assad to stop throwing everything at an attack that threatens his survival, is fantasy. If the Shayrat strike is to be more than the latest useless symbolic gesture, it needs to be followed by a fundamental change in strategy.

Until a week ago, Trump’s Syria policy was to downplay any call for regime change, acquiesce in the permanence of Assad’s regime and collaborate with Putin against Islamic State. As recently as April 5, the day after the Khan Sheikhoun attack, Tillerson was asserting that Assad was here to stay.

This was bad policy: not just on moral or political grounds (Assad has killed 10 times as many Syrians as Islamic State, and most US partners both inside Syria and throughout the region see removing Assad and ending the war as the top priority bar none) but also in practical military terms.

Assad lacks the military capacity to stabilise Syria: he’s losing ground in key areas, controls less than 23 per cent of the country, has no prospect of reunifying Syria, presides over a patchwork of local militias and thuggish warlords with purely nominal allegiance to his government, and couldn’t survive six months without external support.

The use of sarin gas underlines how desperate his situation is. Even if it were morally and politically possible to work with his regime for the greater goal of destroying Islamic State, the man simply can’t do the job.

More fundamentally, the goal of destroying Islamic State may not actually be the higher strategic priority, at least not in Syria. Unlike Iraq, where recapturing Mosul and crushing the caliphate is a key first step toward stabilising the country, in Syria the greatest threat to stability is Assad himself.

For most Syrians I’ve spoken to, the idea that anyone engaged in the uprising since 2011 would sit down again under Assad is ludicrous, and many have told me the biggest winner so far isn’t Islamic State but al-Qa’ida, through its Nusra affiliate.

From a wider strategic standpoint, the other key audiences for the Shayrat strike were Chinese leader Xi Jinping (who was dining with Trump as the strike went in) and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. Using the Syria strike to telegraph a zero-tolerance policy for weapons of mass destruction, administration spokesmen talked of a new joint effort with China to rein in North Korea’s nuclear adventurism. For a President who spoke blithely on the campaign trail about Japan and South Korea acquiring their own nuclear weapons to deal with Pyongyang, this represents a big step forward.

More importantly, the move of the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier battle group toward Korean waters to deter further missile launches, and the deployment of US air defence systems and special operators in South Korea, showed this was not just talk.

The choices facing President Trump on Syria today are vastly more complex than those president Obama failed to deal with in 2013. But his change of policy after the Khan Sheikhoun attack — perhaps prompted by the presence in his inner circle of experienced strategists such as Secretary of Defence James Mattis and National Security Adviser HR McMaster — shows he’s at least capable of learning and adapting.

Along with the change on Syria policy and the move to deter North Korea, last week’s strike was rapidly followed by shifts in Trump’s tone on China (evidently no longer a currency manipulator), NATO (apparently no longer obsolete) and Russia (it would have been nice to co-operate, but that’s not possible while Russia continues to back Assad). Don’t look now, but all this seems to be pushing the Trump presidency back toward something resembling relatively mainstream US policy in the tradition of presidents Bush, Clinton and Reagan.

Whether you think that’s good or bad probably depends on your view of America’s role in the world, and the longstanding propensity of US leaders to use unilateral military force. But symbolic as it was, the Shayrat missile strike may also open the door to new thinking on Syria — and after six years, half a million dead, dozens of cities destroyed and millions displaced, that can only be a good thing."

The Russians say the Syrians bombed a rebel chemical weapons facility without knowing what it was.

If anyone doubts the US explanation that it was Syria dropping chemical bombs, why would they doubt the Russian version and believe it was a false flag operation?

The main argument that it wasn't Syrian chemical bombs, is that Assad has no motive for using them. By the same logic, what is Russia's motive to lie?

Once again, Jim, your reply makes perfect sense in isolation - isolation from David's statements. It was David's words that motivated me to use the term "false flag", since that is what he seemed to be getting at. I don't have a problem with you "setting the record straight", so long as you recognise that (apparently implicitly) you and David disagree, and that my confusion at David's position remains (at least to me) unanswered.

Back