The Giver

Interesting take on a current film by a popular Catholic apologist:

I usually find Fr. Barron's search for Christian themes in pop fiction heavy handed, but this sounds like the kind of "utopia" a number of people on this forum would welcome.

Reactions: tim
I haven't seen it, but from that clip the post-conflict environment sounds like the world skeptics are advocating. Chemically enhanced thoughts, politically correct speech, ordered society.

Every one of the female inhabitants is called Linda, the males, Arouet and the world they inhabit .... Anagnostopoulos. . The language ( Lindarouet) is a tortuous exercise in elaborate sentence construction, the longer the better (such virtuosos win applause with a failure to clap punishable by compulsive reading of the God Delusion) ) without actually saying anything... but avoiding offence at all costs. Lindarouet (pronounced_ Lin-darooet )

Last edited:
I haven't seen it, but from that clip the post-conflict environment sounds like the world skeptics are advocating. Chemically enhanced thoughts, politically correct speech, ordered society.
Black and white film, naivety. I highly recommend the movie. It feels like a reboot to our over-stimulated culture. It that sense, the movie actually helps to solve and to fix one of our cultural problems (which is so rare if not unique).

Back