This is weird

As an adult I always had this vague memory of being able to float in my body when I was really young, obviously as a grown up I thought the idea just seems ridiculous, but nevertheless the memory was persistent, I never really bothered looking into it further until one day about a year ago I decided to google it, so I google, I remember floating when I was younger, and to my astonishment the Internet was littered with people claiming the same thing.

A lot of peope remember this experience with floating down the stairs, but mine were sensations of being able to float at random locations, like running home from school or once in the school playground.

I haven't really brought this up anywhere or bothered to, I just thought someone on skeptiko might have an explanation.

I'm not sure if I was really able to float, but the memories seem vivid, and to my surprise there are plenty of people who have them to. Just google it, here is one link I just found.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread746689/pg1

Weird.

Last edited:
I often have dreams in which I float downstairs, or glide along just a few inches above the ground. In such dreams there are often other people present, who are just walking along as normal, and I find myself thinking, "I hope no-one notices I'm not touching the ground, they'll think I'm weird".

According to Sylvan Muldoon in the THE PROJECTION OF THE ASTRAL BODY 1929 (5.5MB PDF download), dreaming of flying may be accompanied by actual astral travelling, of which the dreamer is unaware.

I often have dreams in which I float downstairs, or glide along just a few inches above the ground. In such dreams there are often other people present, who are just walking along as normal, and I find myself thinking, "I hope no-one notices I'm not touching the ground, they'll think I'm weird".

According to Sylvan Muldoon in the THE PROJECTION OF THE ASTRAL BODY 1929 (5.5MB PDF download), dreaming of flying may be accompanied by actual astral travelling, of which the dreamer is unaware.

As crazy as it sounds I don't remember them as dreams, I remember them as actual events, but I can't say for sure it really happened, it just feels like it did.

Thanks for the link.

As crazy as it sounds I don't remember them as dreams, I remember them as actual events, but I can't say for sure it really happened, it just feels like it did.

Thanks for the link.
Yes, I understand what you mean. I think a number of other people have reported this as a real experience, but in their earliest years (perhaps before they 'knew' it was not possible).

As an adult I always had this vague memory of being able to float in my body when I was really young, obviously as a grown up I thought the idea just seems ridiculous, but nevertheless the memory was persistent, I never really bothered looking into it further until one day about a year ago I decided to google it, so I google, I remember floating when I was younger, and to my astonishment the Internet was littered with people claiming the same thing.

A lot of peope remember this experience with floating down the stairs, but mine were sensations of being able to float at random locations, like running home from school or once in the school playground.

I have had some of those dreams where I'm able to take some sort of giant leaps. I remember one quite well, where I was running as a kid and took a jump of joy and realized I flew quite a bit longer than was usual. I was wondering (in my dream) how this could be possible, so I tried again and put some effort to it and made longer and longer leaps. I cant describe the feeling you get from doing that - it's quite amazing. An exhilarating feeling of a kind I never had IRL. Really hard to explain.

I remember I tried to rationalize this ability - in my dream, while I was dreaming it - and deduced that this was impossible - but yet I was able to do it. The jumps then got easier and easier, and longer and longer. I felt like The Hulk, doing his mega-jumps. :)

Another lucid dream I had about floating, that I've written about here before, was this one. >>

The first time I had a semi-lucid dream I didn't know what was happening. I wasn't able to control much of anything, but it was a lucid dream in that sense that I felt things more vividly. And also, when I woke up I felt immediately that this was something extra than just a normal dream.

Anyway, in this dream I happened to be in the bathroom of my old childhood home (our family don't own that house any more). I felt like I was just a kid again and I was leaning over the toilet urinating, with one hand against the wall, when I suddenly sensed a small tug upwards in my lumbar.

At that point I became somewhat lucid in my dreams. I somehow knew I was dreaming and the tug in my back came again. (It wasn't as vivid as lucid dream I have had later on, but it was real enough, so to speak).
Anyway, it was quite a surreal feeling.of this tugging upward by my lumbar. I have never been lifted in a harness of some kind in real life, so this feeling was quite new for me.

The tug became more of a gentle lifting after a while when I was comfortable with it, And slowly I was suspended in the air, and my body was levelled out with my back to the ground and my face against the ceiling.

Then suddenly I was moving through the air with my feet first. I was lowered down a bit so I could pass through the doorway and out in to the hall.I was looking around wondering what/who was doing this since I didn't command it myself.

I was floating in to our living room where we have four big windows and I was approaching them. Since I couldn't stop the movement I was preparing for the inevitable crash of glass when my feet broke the window.
But, this did not happen. Instead I experienced a feeling and sense which can not be properly explained since I have no real reference to it.
But I'm going to try to explain it with a mix of other feeling to describe it. However, they would not be a match to the proper feeling I had though.

I was passing through the glass, but not without feeling anything. Instead it was something that could only be described as a mix of a coarse liquid, cold, tingling, electric feeling.

I was feeling the cold from the outside air on my feet before the rest of my body was passing through the glass. I became very anxious before my torso and head was passing through. I thought my body, and especially my head was not going to deal with this passage very well.

The will to stop the dream was coming over me, but the curiosity was stronger, and since this was some kind of semi-lucid dream (I was aware that I was dreaming but I wasnt in control fully over the actions but felt I was able to stop it all) I decided to go through with it.

The passing of my torso through the glass felt like going in to a electric,ice cold, bath, and it took my breath away almost. The passing of my head was feeling what could be described as a gentle brain-stroke, a sort of numbness and a mental crunch of some sort.

When I was through I began to move over the landscape, feet first, floating.
I began picking up speed and the feeling was a mix of fear, anxiety, excitement and serenity.

I could feel the mix of lukewarm and cool air against the sole of my feet.
The feeling of just that was so real that I almost began to contemplate if this wasn't the real life and not a dream. In lack of describing the feeling and scenery, have a look at this clip where the view is straight ahead, from the aircraft, blasting over the landscape.

At this point the worry and fear that this might go out of control pulled me out of the dream. I almost bolted out of bed still with the feeling of wind in my hair, and my feet felt cold and stiff.

I know the second that I opened my eyes, that this dream was one I would never forget and the feeling of weightlessness was with me the better part of the morning.

I have had some of those dreams where I'm able to take some sort of giant leaps. I remember one quite well, where I was running as a kid and took a jump of joy and realized I flew quite a bit longer than was usual. I was wondering (in my dream) how this could be possible, so I tried again and put some effort to it and made longer and longer leaps. I cant describe the feeling you get from doing that - it's quite amazing. An exhilarating feeling of a kind I never had IRL. Really hard to explain.

I remember I tried to rationalize this ability - in my dream, while I was dreaming it - and deduced that this was impossible - but yet I was able to do it. The jumps then got easier and easier, and longer and longer. I felt like The Hulk, doing his mega-jumps. :)

Another lucid dream I had about floating, that I've written about here before, was this one. >>

Wow, you have a fortunate or unfortunate ability to remember vivid dreams and almost guide yourself through them, that must be awesome. Maybe. I have had some vivid dreams where they have felt more real than reality, or as real, so strange really. But then again yesterday was real, but it's only a memory now or a remembered dream.

Most people don't remember their dreams so I wonder why so many people do remember floating, I don't remember my floating as being in a dream, that's the thing, I think it really happened, lol it's weird, and after years of living with this crazy idea, I was surprised to see the Internet with so many others who think that, although many say they floated in their dreams some say it was real.

A lady once told me it was real and that when you are young, your mind is pure and you can do all sorts of things. lol I'm not so sure, but I thought that was a good answer.

I often have dreams in which I float downstairs, or glide along just a few inches above the ground.
I have this dream, as well! In fact, this is the primary event I use to trigger lucid dreaming, since I will usually notice within my dream how unlikely it is that I could float a few inches off the ground for 50 feet or more...

You think it's weird that people might question whether or not they were really flying?
- The term "flying" wasn't used in the post I responded to.
- I think it is weird that people question/doubt their own core experiences. Think a little about what that means.

Last edited:
- The term "flying" wasn't used in the post I responded to.
- I think it is weird that people question/doubt their own core experiences. Think a little about what that means.
I think I get what you mean, but it still good to question things that seem unusual until you get a satisfactory answer. That is all part of critical thinking.

I think I get what you mean, but it still good to question things that seem unusual until you get a satisfactory answer. That is all part of critical thinking.
I don't think it's "good." Or "bad." And while I agree it's part of critical thinking, that's as limited a practice as rationality. Neither is a way to encompass/explore most of reality Both are based solely in whatever is currently held to be fact. I'd say that what "satisfactory answer" translates to is something that will be accepted with the existent beliefs of the rational mind.

I don't think it's "good." Or "bad." And while I agree it's part of critical thinking, that's as limited a practice as rationality. Neither is a way to encompass/explore most of reality Both are based solely in whatever is currently held to be fact. I'd say that what "satisfactory answer" translates to is something that will be accepted with the existent beliefs of the rational mind.
“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”

Lewis Carroll- Alice in Wonderland

You think it's weird that people might question whether or not they were really floating?
Perhaps. That depends on what you mean by "really floating." But I certainly do think it's weird that you are showing such a lack of basic comprehension.

Last edited:
“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
Exactly! There's lots of wisdom in those books.

Also - if you like - do some critical thinking about critical thinking. Where did it originate? What underlies the prominence with which many of us hold it? What does it encompass? What beliefs is it grounded in? What beliefs does it reinforce? Etc.

Exactly! There's lots of wisdom in those books.

Also - if you like - do some critical thinking about critical thinking. Where did it originate? What underlies the prominence with which many of us hold it? What does it encompass? What beliefs is it grounded in? What beliefs does it reinforce? Etc.

When one is twenty yes, but at forty-seven, Venus may rise from the sea, and I for one should hardly put on my spectacles to have a look

William Makepeace Thackeray