Why was this thread locked?

• Thread starter Sciborg_S_Patel
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sciborg_S_Patel

Fort McMurray Or... What Happens when you deny Climate Science

It seems no one, to my knowledge, had discussed whether or not climate change could be involved with the fires in Alberta?

Personally it seems questionable to me but I don't get how there can be podcasts - and thus discussions - on global warming but threads made on the subject get locked even in Other Stuff?

If we're going by what annoys people on a personal level, I'd like to see the entire off topic discussion on Bernardo's thread deleted completely.

thanks,

Sci

Additionally I recall Gabriel was temp-banned by Alex for being upset about the discussion regarding the anti-Christian, Jesus-is-pure-fiction shows.

I personally disliked that ruling but it seems to set a precedent. If a thread is losing productive discussion because it upsets people a subject is being discussed at all then it is that person's responsibility to avoid the thread or risk a temp ban.

It seems no one, to my knowledge, had discussed whether or not climate change could be involved with the fires in Alberta?

Personally it seems questionable to me but I don't get how there can be podcasts - and thus discussions - on global warming but threads made on the subject get locked even in Other Stuff?

If we're going by what annoys people on a personal level, I'd like to see the entire off topic discussion on Bernardo's thread deleted completely.

thanks,

Sci

Heh - If you're talking about our digression into methodology and dogs that know, its sort of funny that you're complaining about it now! When I suggested moving the derail out of the thread it was you who indicated that it should stay! :)

I thought I had, hopefully I have now clarifiied more, but any further I think we should take it out of this thread since we're getting far off topic!

It doesn't seem any more off topic than all this stuff about quasars?

In terms of keeping the discussion of this subtopics in this thread I suppose if its good with David its fine with me, but I suspect the discussions will be easier to follow in separate threads. And again, they require some digging below the surface.

Anyhow, I don't have an issue taking it out of that thread, but please don't delete what's there! Please leave it or move it - there's been some really good discussion there!

As the person who created the thread, I am alarmed that I came home from the school in which I work (where Skeptiko is banned from reading btw :( ) to find it blocked before I could even respond.
How are we to have deep involved conversations to expand our consciousness if people get huffy and demand a thread to be shut down?
The second person who posted said something personally disparaging. Now I will argue points and ideas until the cows come home- like Alex- but I'm not about to do so when someone says something personal. They've lost their argument if that's all they've gotten through.

I wanted to point out this site. Natural Resources Canada. Now if we're going to come up with some kind of twisted logic that every single Park department, every single Fishery Department, every single Resources Department is in some kind of cabal with Climate Scientists. I would like to understand exactly what people think is the conspiracy here. I've argued before that the suggestion that somehow the Oil Companies are the brave people here standing up against the endlessly rich universities and their fat paycheques coming from studying temperature variation, I think there's a couple more issues going on that are more interesting to talk about than Global Warming.
In the meantime, I'm going to put up another thread on what I think is another huge canary in the coal mine- the silent sentinels- coral. And their mass extinction in our oceans.
For now.. check out how Canadian Forestry resources are looking at the issues of global warming wreaking havoc on our nation.
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/forests/fire-insects-disturbances/fire/13155

I would point out that many of the people who advocate for threads to be shut because they think the "issue is settled" also object voriciously when "the esatablishment" tries to do the same on issues it thinks are settled.

It's really very simple: if the topic of a thread annoys you or you don't find it worthy of discussion - just ignore it! If other people want to discuss it why should it bother you?

Heh - If you're talking about our digression into methodology and dogs that know, its sort of funny that you're complaining about it now! When I suggested moving the derail out of the thread it was you who indicated that it should stay! :)

Anyhow, I don't have an issue taking it out of that thread, but please don't delete what's there! Please leave it or move it - there's been some really good discussion there!

Eh, I'm just using it as an example to illustrate a point. I don't expect it to be deleted.

Agreed. I've written to David and Alex privately asking that the decision to lock the thread be reversed, and that if it is not, a joint moderator's response be provided to you publicly in this thread.

thanks,

Sci
Ok, I see your point. We can let Jack back in and we can open up that thread, but we gotta all acknowledge that it can be annoying when threads and discussions become derailed. ep. 310 was not really about climate change, but about how people don't change based on data... even when they say, "so me the data and I'll change." this is true of many of the topics we cover and 310 was a demonstration of the same. so it is kind of annoying to have this big dust up over an thread that finds it's way back to the other side of the same issues.

Finally, we can make this forum whatever we want it to be. For example, I don't want to read thru a ton of silly Skeptical nonsense about NDEs. I'm open to something new, but not re-hashing stuff that been discussed 100 times over. Same goes for Christian apologetics. If you got something new bring it. If you got an expert/author to debate the Skeptical or Christianity-is-#1 perspective -- awesome, I'll move then right to the top of the list. but otherwise...

Additionally I recall Gabriel was temp-banned by Alex for being upset about the discussion regarding the anti-Christian, Jesus-is-pure-fiction shows.

I personally disliked that ruling but it seems to set a precedent. If a thread is losing productive discussion because it upsets people a subject is being discussed at all then it is that person's responsibility to avoid the thread or risk a temp ban.
Gabriel must have read this as he just emailed me. I don't recall the details of my request that he take some time away from the forum, but he's not banned (I just checked). moreover, there's no such thing to me as a permanent ban... heck I'd even let Linda back in if she asked. then again, I'm gonna have a pretty quick trigger finger folks that just grind away at the same stuff because as I said in 310 data is not going to change some people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back